Surface Plasmon Resonance in Gold Films: My Conundrum

In summary, the conversation discusses surface plasmon resonance in a gold film and the refractive index of gold in optical light. The speaker is unsure of the correct refractive index and is wondering if negative refractive index is related to surface plasmon resonance. They also mention the book "Plasmonics: Fundamentals and Applications" by Stefan Maier as a helpful resource for understanding surface plasmon polaritons.
philip041
I'm trying understand surface plasmon resonance in a gold film, and have decided that gold must have a refractive index of say 5-10ish in optical light. However I'm not sure and I think I might be on the wrong track.

Also does negative refractive index have anything to do with surface plasmon resonance.

Sorry got myself in a mess.

Physics news on Phys.org

philip041 said:
I'm trying understand surface plasmon resonance in a gold film, and have decided that gold must have a refractive index of say 5-10ish in optical light. However I'm not sure and I think I might be on the wrong track.

Looking in the CRC handbook, it seems it's more like 1.5-3 across the visible spectrum.

Also does negative refractive index have anything to do with surface plasmon resonance.

I don't know enough about SPR to answer that. I always assumed it was a nonlinear-optical-effect thing?

I know something about ssp, and negative refractive index has all about plasmons resonance... SPP is a normal mode of a metal-dielectric interface whom is accomplished by a negative refractive index.

SPP is a solution of a MAXWELL's equation.. check boundary condition and normal modes definition (JACKSON chapter 7 and any book of mathematics)..

Good luck

For an excellent explanation of surface plasmon polaritons, I refer you to "Plasmonics: Fundamentals and Applications" by Stefan Maier. I found the book really helpful.

Especially Chap 1 and 2. Goes through basics and what plasmons are about.

1. What is surface plasmon resonance (SPR)?

Surface plasmon resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when light interacts with a metal surface, typically gold or silver. It results in the collective oscillation of conduction electrons, creating a surface plasmon wave.

2. How is SPR used in gold films?

SPR is used in gold films to study the interactions between molecules or biological samples on the surface. When the surface is exposed to light at a specific wavelength, the resonance conditions can be measured to determine the binding affinity and kinetics of the molecules.

3. What is the significance of SPR in scientific research?

SPR has many applications in scientific research, particularly in biochemistry and biophysics. It is used to study protein-protein interactions, antibody-antigen binding, and DNA hybridization, among other things. It provides valuable information about the binding strength and specificity of biomolecular interactions.

4. What factors influence the SPR signal in gold films?

The SPR signal in gold films can be influenced by various factors, including the thickness and composition of the gold film, the refractive index of the surrounding medium, and the angle and polarization of the incident light. Additionally, the properties of the molecules or proteins on the surface can also affect the SPR signal.

5. How can SPR data be analyzed and interpreted?

SPR data can be analyzed and interpreted using various methods, such as fitting the data to a binding model to determine the binding affinity and kinetics of the interaction, or using the signal to noise ratio to assess the quality of the data. Additionally, control experiments and replicates can be used to validate the results obtained from SPR experiments.