Mohr's Circle. Shaft problem

In summary, the conversation revolves around a project that requires the use of Mohr's circle, which the person is unfamiliar with. They have an attached file showing a Free Body Diagram of a shaft made from AISI A514 steel and have mentioned reading about Mohr's circle to understand the equations needed for the diagram. However, they are unsure about obtaining the values for σx, σy, and τxy. They also provide a link for further clarification on Mohr's circle.
stevoxbx

Homework Statement

Ive been told to have a Mohr's circle in a project that I'm doing
Ive never done anything to do with Mohr's Circle or stresses/strains before so I'm unsure what to do

Attached file shows FBD of shaft made from AISI A514 steel

Homework Equations

From reading up about mohr's circle I will be able to complete a diagram knowing σx, σy and τxy (i think!)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to go about getting σx, σy and τxy

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18323&stc=1&d=1239035663

Attachments

• FBD.jpg
    FBD.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 806
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for reaching out about your project involving Mohr's Circle and a shaft problem. Mohr's Circle is a graphical method used to determine the state of stress at a particular point in a material. It is commonly used in engineering and mechanics to analyze stresses and strains in various structures and materials. In your case, you have been asked to use Mohr's Circle to analyze the stresses in a shaft made from AISI A514 steel.

To begin, you will need to gather the necessary information and data for your problem. This includes the applied forces, dimensions of the shaft, and material properties of the AISI A514 steel. From there, you can use equations and principles of mechanics to determine the stresses at different points along the shaft.

One important equation to know is the stress transformation equation, which relates the normal and shear stresses in different directions to the principal stresses. This equation can be used to determine the values of σx, σy, and τxy that you mentioned in your attempt at a solution. Once you have these values, you can plot them on a Mohr's Circle diagram and use it to visualize the state of stress at a particular point in the shaft.

I understand that this may be your first time working with Mohr's Circle and stresses/strains, so it is completely normal to feel unsure about what to do. I would recommend doing some additional research and reading on Mohr's Circle and stress analysis to familiarize yourself with the concepts and equations involved. Additionally, you may want to consult with your professor or a mentor for guidance and clarification on the specific problem you are working on.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

What is Mohr's Circle and why is it used?

Mohr's Circle is a graphical representation of stress and strain on a material. It is used to determine the principal stresses and their orientation on any given plane, which is helpful in analyzing the strength and stability of a material under different loading conditions.

How is Mohr's Circle constructed?

Mohr's Circle is constructed by plotting the normal stress on the x-axis and the shear stress on the y-axis. The center of the circle represents the average normal stress and the radius of the circle represents the maximum shear stress.

What is the significance of the intersection point on Mohr's Circle?

The intersection point on Mohr's Circle represents the principal stresses and their orientation. The angle between the intersection point and the normal stress axis is equal to twice the angle between the principal stresses.

How is Mohr's Circle used in analyzing a shaft problem?

In a shaft problem, Mohr's Circle is used to determine the maximum shear stress on the shaft and its orientation. This information can then be used to calculate the factor of safety and determine if the shaft can withstand the applied load without failing.

What are some limitations of using Mohr's Circle in analyzing a shaft problem?

Mohr's Circle assumes that the material being analyzed is homogeneous, isotropic, and in a state of plane stress. This may not always be the case in real-life situations, which can affect the accuracy of the results obtained from using Mohr's Circle.