Experimental Polarization Techniques

In summary, the author is trying to calibrate polarizers to improve accuracy. He has a fiber-diode laser and two film polarisers. He found that it is not easy to find the maximum or minimum transmission orientations, and that it is better to find the 45-degree inclinations.
reasonableman
I am currently doing experiments with polarizing optics and reflection from metal surfaces. However it's not as simple as it sounds in textbooks, so I was wondering if anyone had experience in these type of experiments.

There seems to be a fundamental problem with identifying the transmission axis of a polarizer. I've tried using a reflection from a surface at the Brewster angle but it's not that accurate, I've also used a method of reflecting from a metal. This gives answers to a high accuracy (mainly because it has curve fitting analysis), however isn't supported by simpler experiments (eg; calibrate 2 polarizers with this method and cross them).

I'd currently feel comfortable saying that I know the axis to 0.5 degrees accuracy however in the literature much higher accuracy is quoted.

Also the polarizers I'm using are quoted by the manufacturer to have an extinction ratio of <10,000. This doesn't seem to be what I get...

Can anyone help with these problems?

Science news on Phys.org
It's not clear what you are doing: do you have a polarized source? What kind of polarizers are you using? What's the bandwidth of illumination?

Thanks for the reply!

The ultimate aim is to calibrate the scales on rotating mounts that polarisers have been mounted in.

The source is a fibre-diode laser with a collimator on the output PM fibre. Bandwidth is very small, laser is easily within +/- 1 nm of the 1550 nm. It is reasonably polarised when it is emitted from the collimator.

I have 1 Glan-thompson (GT) and 2 film polarisers.

It was thought it would be easy:

Pass the emitted laser light through the GT, then calibrate the film polarisers against the GT by finding the extinction caused by crossing the GT and film polariser.

However it is not that easy...noise on the laser power/power meter makes finding the minimum difficult, even plotting around the minimum and curve fitting does not seem particularly repeatable. Then if you try testing the result by trying to find maximum transmission it is not at 90 degrees!

Oh- ok. You almost have it.

Rather than try to find the maximum or minimum transmission orientations, it's best to find the 45-degree inclinations: the point at which small rotations cause equal and opposite changes in the transmission. Less noise, better signal, more accuracy.

Let me know if that works better.

1. What are experimental polarization techniques?

Experimental polarization techniques are methods used to measure and manipulate the polarization state of light. This involves changing the direction and amplitude of the electric field vector of light to study its properties and interactions with matter.

2. What types of experimental polarization techniques are commonly used?

Some commonly used experimental polarization techniques include polarimetry, ellipsometry, and Mueller matrix spectroscopy. These techniques involve measuring the polarization of light at different angles and wavelengths, and analyzing the data to determine the properties of the sample being studied.

3. How are experimental polarization techniques used in scientific research?

Experimental polarization techniques are used in a wide range of scientific research, including materials science, biology, and astronomy. They can provide valuable information about the structure and properties of materials, as well as the behavior of light in different environments.

4. What are the advantages of using experimental polarization techniques?

Experimental polarization techniques offer a non-destructive and non-invasive way to study the properties of materials and interactions of light with matter. They can also provide highly sensitive and precise measurements, making them useful in a variety of scientific applications.

5. Are there any limitations to experimental polarization techniques?

Like any scientific technique, there are limitations to experimental polarization techniques. These may include difficulties in accurately measuring very small or complex polarization states, as well as the need for specialized equipment and expertise to perform these experiments.