Media Player & Quicktime *grumble*

• Thread starter enigma
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the issue of setting Windows Media Player as the default browser for videos and music instead of Quicktime. The person asking for help has tried various solutions but is still struggling to fix the problem. Another person offers a suggestion but is unsure if it will work. Eventually, the issue is resolved without a clear understanding of what caused it.
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So my girlfriend's little sister bought an IPod. It turned out that her computer wasn't up to snuff to run the necessary files to get everything up and running. I made the mistake of graciously offering for her to use mine.

The girlfriend and the sister came over when I was at work. The software she installed set Quicktime as the default browser for videos/mp3's.

* I F_ing HATE Quicktime. *

I managed to get it switched back so Windows Media Player is the default browser for vids/music, but now it plays the videos full screen inside an IE window instead of in the separate WMP window like I had it. I can't figure out how to set it back.

&$^%(#*&#@% :grumpy:

I'm striking out with the help files and online documentation.

WMP 9 Series
Windows XP
P4 2.66GHz

Little Help?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Uh...

Don't know what I did, but it's working now.

Hello Enigma,
I have noticed following new OS installations that IE will ask upon encountering media files for the first time whether or not it should play them in an IE window or open Media Player. I have always opted for Media Player so I don’t really know how to change things back. I was going to suggest you try the following path in an IE window;

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Multimedia (scroll down) > Play videos in web pages (removed check then apply changes).

Trouble is, I notice there is a check in mine yet in most instances Media Player will open. Soooo, sorry I couldn’t be of much help.

Good luck

1. What is the difference between Media Player and Quicktime?

Media Player and Quicktime are both media players used to play various types of media such as audio and video files. However, Media Player is a Microsoft product and is primarily used on Windows operating systems, while Quicktime is an Apple product and is primarily used on Mac operating systems.

2. Can Media Player and Quicktime play the same types of media files?

Both Media Player and Quicktime support a wide range of media formats, but they do not support all the same types of files. Media Player is known for its wide range of compatibility with various formats, while Quicktime is known for its high-quality playback of certain formats, such as Apple's MOV files.

3. Are there any security risks associated with using Media Player and Quicktime?

Like any software, Media Player and Quicktime may have vulnerabilities that can be exploited by hackers. It is important to keep both programs updated to the latest versions to minimize these risks. Additionally, it is recommended to only download and play media files from trusted sources to further reduce the risk of security threats.

4. Can I use Media Player and Quicktime on my mobile device?

Media Player and Quicktime are primarily designed for desktop use, but there are mobile versions available. Media Player is available as an app for Windows phones, while Quicktime is available as an app for iOS devices. However, there are other media player options that may be more suitable for mobile devices.

5. How do I troubleshoot issues with Media Player and Quicktime?

If you are experiencing issues with Media Player or Quicktime, the first step is to check for updates and make sure you have the latest version installed. If the problem persists, you can try clearing the cache and temporary files, or reinstalling the program. You can also search for specific troubleshooting steps or contact the software's support team for assistance.