What's the winning number in this pick-a-number game?

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, players must choose a number that is 80% of the average of all numbers picked. The valid range of choices is 0 to 100. The target number is determined by adding up all choices, dividing by the number of players, and multiplying by 0.8. Players must make their choice before seeing others' choices and can hide their answer using a color tag. The color code for hiding text is #e3e3e3.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Choose the number that is 80 percent of the average of all the numbers picked by players of this game.

The valid range of choices are all real numbers from 0 to 100.

The target number is determined by adding up all the choices of the players, dividing by the number of players, and multiplying by 0.800000 (all numbers are rounded to the nearest millionth).

Make your choice before looking at other people's choices. You're on the honor system here, plus the only thing you win is a nice smiley icon in the post announcing you as the winner so we're not talking irrestible temptation here.

You can put your answer in hidden text to lessen the chance of people inadvertantly seeing other people's answers before choosing. Currently, that color is not in the standard color list, so if you want to change the text to match the background color, use the code and don't forget to close the tag at the end using [/ color], except without the space between the slash and "color."

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Make your choices in hidden text (my choice doesn't count, since I'll do the tabulating).

My choice is pi/10000

Last edited:
BobG said:
You can put your answer in hidden text to lessen the chance of people inadvertantly seeing other people's answers before choosing. Currently, that color is not in the standard color list, so if you want to change the text to match the background color, use the code and don't forget to close the tag at the end using [/ color], except without the space between the slash and "color."

According to firebug, it's actually #e3e3e3.

Code:
.alt1, .alt1Active { 
background:#E3E3E3 none repeat scroll 0 0;

like this

My pick:

[tex]\pi^2 \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \left\{ \sup_{a_{ij}\in\mathbb{R},\, \mathbf{x}_i,\mathbf{y}_j\in\mathbb{C}^n} \left\{ \left| \sum_{i=1}^n\sum_{j=1}^n a_{ij} \, \frac{\mathbf{x}_i \cdot\mathbf{y}_j}{\left| \mathbf{x}_i \right| \left| \mathbf{y}_j \right|} \right| \middle/ \sup_{s_i, t_j \in \mathbb{R}} \left| \sum_{i=1}^n\sum_{j=1}^n a_{ij} \, \frac{s_i \, t_j}{\left| s_i\right| \left| t_j\right|} \right| \right\} \right\} [/tex]

Last edited:
Okay, I'll give it a try, though the odds are against me going early without any idea how many responses might be factored into the average.

I'm going to guess:
The answer is 42.

if this is serious then

42 :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Okay, I'll give it a try, though the odds are against me going early without any idea how many responses might be factored into the average.

I'm going to guess:
The answer is 42.

do I smell something here?

Just to make it easy for people, here is a copy-and-pasteable color tag to enclose around your answer:

[noparse] [/noparse]

And my pick: 22.001

Okay, my pick is

34 + e^sqrt(2)

but entering just two digits gives too short a message, so I have to write something below

What is the purpose of "Another pick a number game"?

The purpose of "Another pick a number game" is to provide a fun and interactive way for individuals to randomly select a number within a specified range.

How does "Another pick a number game" work?

"Another pick a number game" works by prompting the user to input a range of numbers and then randomly selecting a number within that range. The user can then guess the number and receive feedback on whether their guess was too high or too low until they guess the correct number.

Is "Another pick a number game" educational?

While "Another pick a number game" may not have a specific educational purpose, it can help improve skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and number recognition.

Can the range of numbers be customized in "Another pick a number game"?

Yes, the range of numbers can be customized in "Another pick a number game" to fit the needs and preferences of the user. This can make the game more challenging or easier, depending on the selected range.

Is "Another pick a number game" suitable for all ages?

Yes, "Another pick a number game" is suitable for all ages, as it can be customized to fit different levels of difficulty. It can also be a fun way for children to practice their math skills while adults can enjoy it as a leisure activity.