Function with two horizontal asymptotes and three vertical asymptotes

In summary: I said "(x-4)^3/(x^2-1)(x-3) + unit step function" would work, not just (x-4)^3/(x^2-1)(x-3).In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding an example of a function that has two horizontal asymptotes and three vertical asymptotes. The participants suggest different approaches, such as using a piecewise-defined function or adding a unit step function to an existing function. They also discuss the role of the numerator and denominator in determining the asymptotes and how to ensure they meet the necessary requirements. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use a function with a V shape as a starting point.
futoo
For the life of me I cannot figure out this problem: give an example of a function that has two horizontal asymptotes and three vertical asymptotes. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
futoo said:
For the life of me I cannot figure out this problem: give an example of a function that has two horizontal asymptotes and three vertical asymptotes. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

That's a hard one. What's an example of a function that has the two horizontal asymptotes? What about a function that meets the 2nd part of the question? Seems like maybe for the vertical ones, we could use x = zero and +/- infinity... Then how to mix in the horizontal ones...?

We can't give you the answers, but we can try to ask some questions to help you figure it out.

berkeman said:
That's a hard one. What's an example of a function that has the two horizontal asymptotes? What about a function that meets the 2nd part of the question? Seems like maybe for the vertical ones, we could use x = zero and +/- infinity... Then how to mix in the horizontal ones...?
A graph could have a vertical asymptote at x = 0, but couldn't have vertical asymptotes at +/- infinity. They would have to occur for some finite numbers. It could have them at, say, x = 1 and x = -1. Vertical asymptotes are determined by factors in the denominator of a rational function that are zero at certain values of x. Horizontal asymptotes arise from the limit of the rational expression being different as x approaches infinity and as x approaches neg. infinity.

Mark44 said:
A graph could have a vertical asymptote at x = 0, but couldn't have vertical asymptotes at +/- infinity. They would have to occur for some finite numbers. It could have them at, say, x = 1 and x = -1. Vertical asymptotes are determined by factors in the denominator of a rational function that are zero at certain values of x. Horizontal asymptotes arise from the limit of the rational expression being different as x approaches infinity and as x approaches neg. infinity.

Ah, thanks for the clarification -- my bad. I was just thinking in terms of infinities, but you're right, to be an asymptote, the value would have to go to infinity for some finite argument in the domain of the fuction.

since vertical asymptotes arise from 0 being in the denominator, would 1/(x^2-1)(x-3) satisfy having three vertical asymptotes? and wouldn't they be -1, 1, and 3

Last edited:
futoo said:
since vertical asymptotes arise from 0 being in the denominator, would 1/(x^2-1)(x-3) satisfy having three vertical asymptotes? and wouldn't they be -1, 1, and 3
Yes. Now you need to add something in the numerator so that you get two different hor. asymptotes. The function you have has a single hor. asymptote--the line y = 0. All you need to get a different horizontal asymptote is have a third degree polynomial in the numerator whose highest-degree term is x3. There's a bit of a snag, because you want the numerator and denominator to have the same sign for large, positive x, and different signs for very negative x. There's a way around this problem, though.

By the way, a "function" does not have to correspond to a single "formula".

Mark44 said:
Yes. Now you need to add something in the numerator so that you get two different hor. asymptotes. The function you have has a single hor. asymptote--the line y = 0. All you need to get a different horizontal asymptote is have a third degree polynomial in the numerator whose highest-degree term is x3. There's a bit of a snag, because you want the numerator and denominator to have the same sign for large, positive x, and different signs for very negative x. There's a way around this problem, though.

I also know that tan^-1(x) has two horizontal asymptotes, do I then incorporate x^3 into the numerator of the equation? Also thanks a lot for all your help.

Well, tan-1(x) doesn't have anything to do with your problem other than as an example of a function with two hor. asymptotes.

If you have x3 in the numerator, with the denominator you mentioned earlier, you'll get only one hor. asymtote - the line y = 1. Your denominator is negative for very negative x, and positive for very positive x, which is the same for x3.

You need something so that the numerator (only) is positive for large, positive x and for very negative x. HallsOfIvy suggested having two formulas for your function. I'm thinking of something different that involves x3. The basic function I'm thinking of has a V shape.

Mark44 said:
Well, tan-1(x) doesn't have anything to do with your problem other than as an example of a function with two hor. asymptotes.

If you have x3 in the numerator, with the denominator you mentioned earlier, you'll get only one hor. asymtote - the line y = 1. Your denominator is negative for very negative x, and positive for very positive x, which is the same for x3.

You need something so that the numerator (only) is positive for large, positive x and for very negative x. HallsOfIvy suggested having two formulas for your function. I'm thinking of something different that involves x3. The basic function I'm thinking of has a V shape.

since the numerator has to be positive for large positive x's and negative for negative x's, (x-4)^3/(x^2-1)(x-3) satisfies the requirements that you gave, but when I plug it into my calculator the graph does not show the necessary requirements

What about a piecewise-defined function? :smile:

Hint: adding the unit step function to one of the functions already given will give two different horizontal asymptotes and 3 different vertical asymptotes.

futoo said:
since the numerator has to be positive for large positive x's and negative for negative x's, (x-4)^3/(x^2-1)(x-3) satisfies the requirements that you gave, but when I plug it into my calculator the graph does not show the necessary requirements
You misread what I wrote. The numerator has to be positive for both x << 0 and for x >> 0 (x << 0 means x is very negative). Your function has only one hor. asymptote. If you can keep the numerator positive for large x and very negative x, you'll have two different hor. asymptotes. A simpler function in the numerator is x3. Is there anything you can do to it to make it always >= 0?

Mark44 said:
You misread what I wrote. The numerator has to be positive for both x << 0 and for x >> 0 (x << 0 means x is very negative). Your function has only one hor. asymptote. If you can keep the numerator positive for large x and very negative x, you'll have two different hor. asymptotes. A simpler function in the numerator is x3. Is there anything you can do to it to make it always >= 0?

an absolute value of a function is always a positive result

I just had this problem in calculus class at PSU

**Edit: realized your question was to teach**

Last edited:
Bingo!
Are liquidsnak and futoo the same person?

No, I was just eager to help out, since I just spent several hours this weekend trying to figure this out.

1. What is a function with two horizontal asymptotes and three vertical asymptotes?

A function with two horizontal asymptotes and three vertical asymptotes is a mathematical function that has two lines (horizontal asymptotes) that the function approaches as the input values become infinitely large or small, and three lines (vertical asymptotes) that the function cannot cross or touch.

2. How can I determine the equations of the horizontal and vertical asymptotes for a function?

The equations of the horizontal asymptotes can be determined by taking the limit of the function as the input values approach positive and negative infinity. The equations of the vertical asymptotes can be found by setting the denominator of the function equal to zero and solving for the input values that make the denominator zero.

3. Can a function have more than two horizontal asymptotes and three vertical asymptotes?

Yes, a function can have more than two horizontal asymptotes and three vertical asymptotes. The number of asymptotes depends on the behavior of the function as the input values approach infinity or approach values that make the denominator of the function equal to zero.

4. What is the significance of having multiple horizontal and vertical asymptotes in a function?

The multiple asymptotes in a function can provide information about the behavior of the function as the input values become extremely large or approach values that make the denominator equal to zero. This can help in understanding the overall shape and behavior of the function.

5. How can I graph a function with two horizontal asymptotes and three vertical asymptotes?

To graph a function with two horizontal asymptotes and three vertical asymptotes, you can first determine the equations of the asymptotes. Then, plot these lines on the graph as dashed lines. Next, plot points on the graph that satisfy the function. As the input values approach infinity or approach values that make the denominator equal to zero, the points should approach the asymptotes. Finally, connect the points to create a smooth curve, and label the graph accordingly.