Getting the tension(Static equilibirum)

• Thread starter honestliar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the angle of the force exerted by cord C in a system where a block with a mass of 850g is hanging from cord A with a tension of 42N at a 25 degree angle from the X-axis. The attempt at a solution involved using the sine and cosine laws to calculate the value of C, but resulted in a wrong answer. It was suggested to start off with summing the forces for each component.
honestliar

Homework Statement

A system cord is knotted at point 0. Determine the angle of the force exerted at cord c If the mass of the hanging block is A=850g(8.34N) the tension in B=42N (the angle of Cord B is 25 degrees from the X-axis)

The Image: http://tinypic.com/m/5ani0y/3

Homework Equations

a/sinA = b/sinB = c/sinC

The Attempt at a Solution

8.43/sinA = 42/sinB = c/sin65

so to get the value of c I need to use the cosine law w/c gives me the answer of c=34.544

If i substitute this value in getting the value of sinA it will be sinA=(34.544)(8.34)/Sin65 w/c gives me a wrong answer.

Help please

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about starting off with the sum of the forces for each component?

I would approach this problem by first identifying the key variables and equations involved. In this case, the variables are the tension in cord B, the angle of cord B, the mass of the hanging block, and the angle of the force exerted at cord C. The equations involved are the law of sines and the law of cosines.

Next, I would carefully read the problem statement and make sure I understand the given information and what is being asked. In this case, we are given the mass of the block, the tension in cord B, and the angle of cord B. We are asked to determine the angle of the force exerted at cord C.

To solve this problem, we can use the law of cosines to find the length of cord C, and then use the law of sines to find the angle of the force exerted at cord C. The law of cosines states that c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab cos C, where c is the side opposite the angle C. In this case, we know the values of a, b, and C, so we can solve for c.

Once we have the length of cord C, we can use the law of sines to find the angle of the force exerted at cord C. The law of sines states that a/sinA = b/sinB = c/sinC, where A, B, and C are the angles of a triangle and a, b, and c are the sides opposite those angles. In this case, we know the values of a, b, and c, so we can solve for A, which is the angle of the force exerted at cord C.

In summary, to solve this problem, we can use the law of cosines to find the length of cord C, and then use the law of sines to find the angle of the force exerted at cord C. It is important to carefully read the problem statement and make sure we understand the given information and what is being asked. We should also double check our calculations to ensure accuracy.

What is tension in relation to static equilibrium?

Tension is a force that occurs when an object is pulled in opposite directions. In the case of static equilibrium, the tension is equal and opposite to the weight of the object, keeping it in a state of balance.

How do you calculate tension in a system?

Tension can be calculated by using the equation T = mg, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This assumes that the object is in a state of static equilibrium.

Can tension ever be greater than the weight of an object?

No, in a state of static equilibrium, tension and weight are equal and opposite forces acting on the object. If the tension were to be greater than the weight, the object would no longer be in a state of balance and would start to move.

What types of objects are affected by tension in static equilibrium?

Tension can affect any object that is being pulled in opposite directions, such as a rope or cable holding up a weight, or a bridge suspended by cables. Essentially, any object that relies on tensile strength to maintain its stability is affected by tension in static equilibrium.

How does tension contribute to the stability of structures?

Tension plays a crucial role in maintaining stability in structures. In static equilibrium, tension and weight are balanced, preventing the object from tipping over or collapsing. By carefully considering the tension in structures, engineers can design stable and safe buildings, bridges, and other structures.