Imaginary numbers and Imaginary Time

In summary, imaginary numbers are a result of taking the square root of a negative number and are used to plot time as another dimension of space in physics. They were initially discovered in the 18th century and were considered an abstraction on the same logical level as real numbers. However, they have proven to be useful tools in mathematics and physics, particularly in complex analysis. The use of imaginary numbers allows for a simpler and more natural extension of arithmetic and algebra. Furthermore, imaginary time has also been found to correspond to equilibrium thermodynamics and can be used in the quantization of particles and fields.
TimBowe
Imaginary numbers are a lot less mysterious than they sound. They are the result from trying to take the square root of a negative number. They are called “imaginary” because they don’t exist in the normal number system, normally you can’t take the square root of a negative number because the product of two negatives is always positive. Using imaginary numbers allows physicists to plot time like is was just another dimension of space.

any product of the form ai, in which a is a real number and i is the imaginary unit defined as √(−1) .

Complex analysis
In the 18th century a far-reaching generalization of analysis was discovered, centred on the so-called imaginary number i = √(−1) . (In engineering this number is usually denoted by j.) The numbers commonly used in everyday life are known as real numbers, but in one sense this name is misleading. Numbers are abstract concepts, not objects in the physical universe. So mathematicians consider real numbers to be an abstraction on exactly the same logical level as imaginary numbers.
The name imaginary arises because squares of real numbers are always positive. In consequence, positive numbers have two distinct square roots—one positive, one negative. Zero has a single square root—namely, zero. And negative numbers have no “real” square roots at all. However, it has proved extremely fruitful and useful to enlarge the number concept to include square roots of negative numbers. The resulting objects are numbers in the sense that arithmetic and algebra can be extended to them in a simple and natural manner; they are imaginary in the sense that their relation to the physical world is less direct than that of the real numbers. Numbers formed by combining real and imaginary components, such as 2 + 3i, are said to be complex (meaning composed of several parts rather than complicated).
The first indications that complex numbers might prove useful emerged in the 16th century from the solution of certain algebraic equations by the Italian mathematicians Girolamo Cardano and Raphael Bombelli. By the 18th century, after a lengthy and controversial history, they became fully established as sensible mathematical concepts. They remained on the mathematical fringes until it was discovered that analysis, too, can be extended to the complex domain. The result was such a powerful extension of the mathematical tool kit that philosophical questions about the meaning of complex numbers became submerged amid the rush to exploit them. Soon the mathematical community had become so used to complex numbers that it became hard to recall that there had been a philosophical problem at all.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Physicists don't need imaginary numbers to plot time. Each point in space has three real coordinates: (x, y, z). If you also want to indicate the time relative to some specific time, you can use a fourth, real coordinate, t: (x, y, z, t).

TimBowe said:
Imaginary numbers are a lot less mysterious than they sound. They are the result from trying to take the square root of a negative number. They are called “imaginary” because they don’t exist in the normal number system, normally you can’t take the square root of a negative number because the product of two negatives is always positive. Using imaginary numbers allows physicists to plot time like is was just another dimension of space.

I don't think that they are mysterious at all, it's just a field defined differently from an ordinary Real number field

There are two very important aspects of imaginary time that are not mentioned. 1) imaginary time corresponds to equilibrium thermodynamics: if a system is held at a temperature T, one can set time= i /( k_B T ) where i is the imaginary number 2) Making this transformation converts the Schroedinger equation , which has wave solutions into a diffusion-like equation. An additional 'clue' that an imaginary time axis is relevant to real physics lies in relativistic formula for "distance" =√∆d2 - ∆t2 . If the universe is actually built on imaginary time τ ≈ i•t, then that peculiar '-' sign is there because we are [for whatever reason] using t, where squaring iτ=-t2.

Quantization of particles and fields is most elegantly prescribed by the method of path integral. The mathematical formula in term of the real time t for the probability amplitude to go from q(t1) to q(t2) is proportional to:

I15-54-iT1.jpg

where the sum is over all paths and L is the Lagrangian (a function of the position and velocity). The oscillating factors in this formula are very difficult to manipulate. However by substituting the real time with the imaginary time, Eq.(22a) is changed into:

I15-54-iT2.jpg

which become the more manageable exponentially decreasing functions. At the end of the computation, the imaginary time can be switched back to the real time.

http://www.universe-review.ca/"

Last edited by a moderator:
image002.gif

1. What are imaginary numbers?

Imaginary numbers are numbers that can be expressed as the square root of a negative number. They are typically represented with the letter "i" and have the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

2. What is the difference between imaginary and real numbers?

The main difference between imaginary and real numbers is that imaginary numbers involve the square root of a negative number, while real numbers do not. Real numbers can be represented on a number line, while imaginary numbers are represented on a complex plane.

3. How are imaginary numbers used in mathematics?

Imaginary numbers are used in various mathematical applications, such as in solving quadratic equations and in electrical engineering. They also have important roles in fields such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and fluid dynamics.

4. What is the concept of imaginary time?

Imaginary time is a mathematical concept used in theoretical physics, specifically in the study of black holes and the early universe. It is a mathematical tool that helps simplify complex equations and models in these areas. It is not the same as imaginary numbers, but it is related to them.

5. Can imaginary numbers and imaginary time be visualized?

While it may be difficult to visualize imaginary numbers and imaginary time, they can be represented on a complex plane. This is a 2-dimensional graph where the horizontal axis represents the real numbers and the vertical axis represents the imaginary numbers. Imaginary time is represented on a similar plane, but with time as the horizontal axis and imaginary values on the vertical axis.