Advice about AE course selection

• Thread starter Brian_C
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, as a non-thesis masters degree student in AE, the dilemma is whether to take core courses in propulsion to broaden knowledge or more specialized electives in the main area of interest (structural analysis). With core courses already completed in fluid dynamics, flight mechanics, and structural analysis, taking more electives in the main area of interest is recommended for potential job opportunities in government or private sector. Taking core courses in propulsion may not be as relevant and specialized electives in that area can be taken if there is a strong interest. Consider speaking with an academic advisor or someone in the desired field for advice.
Brian_C
I'm finishing up a masters degree (non-thesis) in AE, and am faced with something of a dilemma. Like many other AE programs, my graduate program offers core courses in four main subject areas (fluid dynamics, flight mechanics, propulsion, and structural analysis), as well as specialized elective courses in those areas. To meet the requirements of the degree, I have to take core courses in three out of the four subject areas, then take electives to cover the remaining balance of course hours.

After this semester, I will have completed core courses in fluid dynamics, flight mechanics, and structural analysis, and will only need to take a few electives to cover the coursework requirements for the degree. My question is: Should I take some core courses in propulsion to broaden the scope of my knowledge, or should I take a few more specialized electives in my main area of interest (structural analysis)? I have no interest in getting a Ph.D, which means I'm looking for employment in government or the private sector after graduation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that it can't hurt to broaden your horizons, especially if there is a chance that you can be hired in the propulsion field. We have a lot of structural guys in my company. If you didn't I would look at what is left in your area and do a sanity check on their applicability. Either way you'll have the degree, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As an internet forum user, I would suggest that you prioritize taking more specialized electives in your main area of interest (structural analysis). Since you have already completed core courses in fluid dynamics, flight mechanics, and structural analysis, taking more electives in your main area of interest will not only deepen your knowledge and expertise in that subject, but also make you stand out to potential employers in the government or private sector. Additionally, having a strong background in a specific area can also open up more job opportunities in that field.

On the other hand, taking core courses in propulsion may provide you with a broader knowledge base, but it may not be as relevant to your main interests and may not make as much of an impact on your job prospects. If you do have a strong interest in propulsion, you can always take a few specialized electives in that area as well, but I would recommend focusing on your main area of interest first.

Ultimately, it is important to choose courses that align with your career goals and interests. Consider speaking with an academic advisor or someone in your desired field to get their perspective and advice as well. Good luck with your decision!

1. What courses should I take to prepare for an aerospace engineering major?

It is recommended to take courses in physics, calculus, and chemistry to build a strong foundation for an aerospace engineering major. Other useful courses include computer science, mechanics, and materials science.

2. Are there any specific courses that are required for an aerospace engineering major?

Yes, there are certain required courses for an aerospace engineering major such as aerodynamics, propulsion, structures, and control systems. It is important to check with your specific university or program for their specific course requirements.

3. Can I take elective courses outside of the aerospace engineering department?

Yes, it is often encouraged to take elective courses outside of your major to broaden your knowledge and skills. Some recommended electives for aerospace engineering students include business, economics, and foreign languages.

4. How many credit hours should I take per semester for an aerospace engineering major?

This can vary depending on your university and personal preferences, but it is generally recommended to take around 15-18 credit hours per semester. It is important to balance your course load with other commitments and to not overload yourself.

5. Are there any resources available to help me choose my courses for an aerospace engineering major?

Yes, most universities have academic advisors or counselors who can assist in course selection. You can also consult with upperclassmen, professors, and online resources for guidance. Additionally, attending career fairs and networking events can provide valuable insights into the industry and potential courses to take.