Can I be Tracked for Posting Online?

• Thread starter Shahil
  • Start date
In summary: That's what I do - Don't have the 'net at home (yes, people like us still do exist!) so use my varsity's PC's!
Shahil
Just a thought.

Do you think I can be tracked down by any govt. and denied access to any country or be detained fro something I post on an online forum like this one?

thanx!

Physics news on Phys.org
Shahil said:
Just a thought.

Do you think I can be tracked down by any govt. and denied access to any country or be detained fro something I post on an online forum like this one?

thanx!

In theory you could be tracked. There are programs called Key Loggers which can enter your computer via a connection to the Internet and sit on your hard drive. Anything you type in can, theoretically, be recorded at a remote site. You could arm yourself with some Anti-Spy software but they have back doors so...

Do you combine your interests in a wine glass and fall out of the window whilst setting fire to the curtains?

Shahil said:
Just a thought.

thanx!

Yes, you can be tracked by the admin, the ISP, the webhost. Or with a subpoena the local police.

In most countries, visiting and posting messages on a forum or surfing websites is not really unconstitutional.

Unless you live in China, where online gaming is being cracked down. Most sites which are considered "questionable" gets blocked by their great firewall.

Last edited:
Do what I do. Use someone else's computer.

Or go to multiproxy.org and just use proxies, It will slow you down though.

loseyourname said:
Do what I do. Use someone else's computer.

That's what I do - Don't have the 'net at home (yes, people like us still do exist!) so use my varsity's PC's!

Anyway, the reason why I want to know is that it doesn't reallly make sense does it? It's like censorship of thought isn't it? Kinda like religion in the dark ages where radical thought meant you'd be burnt at the stake. I'm just thinking that my right to "free speech (thought)" as such would be violated if I was to be tracked down. Not that I've done anything bad though...

What's the alternative, Shahil? Say nothing that offends people who hold views that oppose your own? Freedom of expression is worth a few travel restrictions, in my opinion.

1. Can my location be tracked when I post online?

Yes, your location can be tracked when you post online. Many social media platforms and websites use your device's GPS or IP address to determine your location when you post.

2. Can I be tracked for posting anonymously?

Yes, it is possible to track someone even if they are posting anonymously. The use of VPNs and other masking techniques can make it more difficult, but it is still possible for your online activity to be traced back to you.

3. How can I prevent being tracked when I post online?

There are a few ways to prevent being tracked when posting online. You can use a VPN to mask your IP address, turn off location services on your device, and avoid using your real name or personal information when creating accounts.

4. Can I be tracked for posting on private accounts?

Yes, you can still be tracked for posting on private accounts. While your posts may not be visible to the public, the platform may still collect and track your data. It is important to carefully consider the privacy policies of the platforms you use and adjust your settings accordingly.

5. Is it possible to completely avoid being tracked when posting online?

No, it is not possible to completely avoid being tracked when posting online. However, you can take precautions to minimize the amount of data collected and make it more difficult for someone to track your online activity. Stay informed about privacy policies and regularly review your security settings.