Closing an Open Ring: Effects and Standards | Subtransmission 69kV Line

• Thread starter bigjoe5263
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary: If B is open, the 69kV will go to the right side of the isolation transformer and the phase will be changed. If both A and B are closed, the 69kV will be eliminated and the phase will be unchanged. There are standards for open/closed ring configurations, but I'm not familiar with them. In summary, it is possible to close the circuit breaker at point C in an open loop transmission line bus configuration. Closing the circuit breaker would have an effect on the frequency of the bus.
bigjoe5263
hi guys,

just want to ask, an open loop has three points A,B, C and each point serving a load. there is only one source (a subtransmission 69kV line from a substation), connected at point A. The loop is open at line segment AC (the circuit breaker at point C, connecting the segment AC is open). The voltage at point A,B and C are almost equal, or there is only a small difference in magnitude. my question is this:

Since there is only one source, which means the frequency (60Hz) is the same at all points, is it possible to close the loop (circuit breaker) at point C? What would be the effect of closing? what are the standards parameters?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A picture would be helpfull

S--x----------x--A--x----------x--B--x----------x--C---
l l
x------------------------------------x

where:

S = source
A,B,C = interconnection (bus)
x = circuit breaker
-- = transmission line 69 kV
hope this will help you visualize what I have previously posted.

Thanks

S--x----------x--A--x----------x--B--x----------x--C--x---------x-->to point A

where:

S = source
A,B,C = interconnection (bus)
x = circuit breaker
-- = transmission line 69 kV
hope this will help you visualize what I have previously posted, sorry for the drawing I don't know how to make a good one here.

thanks

Attachments

• ring bus.jpg
    ring bus.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 525
Going from an open ring to a closed ring can be difficult. The fault currents in the lines are increased, basically doubled as the 2 paths are in parallel. It also complicates the protection settings. I have had limited experience with HV, but from what I can gather it is only done in critical infrastructure situations where an interruption of power is not acceptable.

Snoogans said:
Going from an open ring to a closed ring can be difficult. The fault currents in the lines are increased, basically doubled as the 2 paths are in parallel. It also complicates the protection settings. I have had limited experience with HV, but from what I can gather it is only done in critical infrastructure situations where an interruption of power is not acceptable.
I don't see how the fault currents in the lines are increased because it's a ring bus. Any time you switch in a line, no mater what bus configuration you have, you're going to see some disturbances.
No separate relaying equipment is provided for a ring bus. Instead, the relaying equipments of the circuits connected to the bus include the bus within their zones of protection...
"www.gedigitalenergy.com/multilin/notes/artsci/art12.pdf"[/URL]
See figure 13 for how the protection relaying is accomplished for a ring bus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Under fault conditions it is the impedance of the fault path and the impedance of the source that determine the magnitude of the current (assuming bolted fault). A closed ring has 2 paths from source to fault in parallel, therefore the impedance is less. Perhaps 'lines' wasn't the best word to use previously.

I am certain there is added complexity to closed ring protection systems, I'm just not sure how to describe them. I know open ring configurations are common, closed ring are not, well at least in Australia I should qualifiy.

dlgoff, that is almost the figure, except that A, B, C are load Bus, i.e. power transformer are connected to them, and also the ring configuration are connected to those bus through the transmission lines between them.

bigjoe5263 said:
dlgoff, that is almost the figure, except that A, B, C are load Bus, i.e. power transformer are connected to them, and also the ring configuration are connected to those bus through the transmission lines between them.
This is probably what you have in mind.
attachment.php?attachmentid=23644&stc=1&d=1265846412.jpg

The situation is still the same as in my first reply (...you can open breakers to isolate one line without disturbing the other lines) except now your load includes a transformer. As to frequency change due to switching in the load, it takes a little time for the generators to catch up, hence there will be a slight lowering of frequency. This is call "rubber banding" I believe.

Attachments

• ring bus.jpg
    ring bus.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 407
digoff.. thanks for the figure.

assuming there are no generators involve, and circuit breaker A is initially open,
are there parameters to be check before circuit breaker is to be closed? what are the things need to be considered? i.e. voltage difference across the open breaker, phase angle, frequency.. etc

You would have to have A and B open to isolate the left transformer. If just A is open, the there will be 69kV at the same freq. and phase on either side of A.

1. What is the purpose of closing an open ring in a 69kV subtransmission line?

The main purpose of closing an open ring in a 69kV subtransmission line is to ensure a continuous flow of electricity throughout the line. When a ring is open, it interrupts the flow of electricity and can cause power outages or disruptions.

2. How does closing an open ring affect the reliability of the subtransmission line?

Closing an open ring greatly improves the reliability of the subtransmission line. By creating a loop, the line is able to maintain a steady flow of electricity even if there is a fault or outage in one section. This helps to prevent power outages and minimize disruptions for customers.

3. What are the safety standards for closing an open ring in a 69kV subtransmission line?

There are strict safety standards that must be followed when closing an open ring in a 69kV subtransmission line. These include wearing appropriate protective gear, following proper procedures, and ensuring that all equipment is in good working condition. Safety is a top priority in any electrical work, and it is especially important when dealing with high voltage lines.

4. Are there any potential risks or challenges involved in closing an open ring in a subtransmission line?

Like any electrical work, there are some risks involved in closing an open ring in a subtransmission line. These can include electrocution, equipment failure, or human error. It is important for trained professionals to handle this task and to follow all safety protocols to minimize these risks.

5. How often should an open ring be checked and closed in a 69kV subtransmission line?

It is recommended to regularly check and close any open rings in a 69kV subtransmission line to ensure its reliability and safety. The frequency of these checks will depend on various factors such as the age and condition of the line, weather conditions, and any previous issues. It is best to consult with experts and follow the manufacturer's recommendations for maintenance and checks.