Rotating single slit and 2 single slits merging

In summary, the rotating single slit and the two single slit's merging may be showing some form of interference pattern. However, the cause of this interference is still unknown.
kevinfr0st
a link to my youtube page of a rotating single slit and 2 single slit's merging,comments welcome on what you think it shows,or don't show

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think it is or isn't showing?

kcdodd said:
What do you think it is or isn't showing?

i know but it isn't for me to tell people,there is way to many people that have been told what to think and not how to think,iv seen way to many parrots just repeating what they have been told,and acting as if they know it all,very few seem to even bother to try there own experiment to back up or disprove the main idear,
ps i hope i haven't up set any parrots :)

kevinfr0st said:
i know but it isn't for me to tell people,there is way to many people that have been told what to think and not how to think,iv seen way to many parrots just repeating what they have been told,and acting as if they know it all,very few seem to even bother to try there own experiment to back up or disprove the main idear,
ps i hope i haven't up set any parrots :)

I didn't see anything unusual, but I only watched parts of it. Could you please give a time stamp or two of anything happening other than simple superposition?

No. You must have some motivation for doing this experiment. I see nothing extra ordinary.

berkeman said:
I didn't see anything unusual, but I only watched parts of it. Could you please give a time stamp or two of anything happening other than simple superposition?
simple superposition
(superposition)overlapping of waves,did any wave cancel any other wave, it was only 5.38 min long and you didnt watch it all :)

kcdodd said:
No. You must have some motivation for doing this experiment. I see nothing extra ordinary.

motivation ? my motivation is to question things and experiment and look into things,to think and to wonder (or ponder) if you see nothing extra ordinary then nothing more to say,thanks for your comment

kevinfr0st said:
simple superposition
(superposition)overlapping of waves,did any wave cancel any other wave, it was only 5.38 min long and you didnt watch it all :)

You must have lots of free time, son. No, I have a very short attention span for forum posts, and a very high expectation of forum posters not to waste my time. Give me a time stamp in your silly video to look for something extraordinary, or your thread will be deleted with a misinformation infraction. I would definitely be interested if you have something to show us.

kevinfr0st said:
a link to my youtube page of a rotating single slit and 2 single slit's merging,comments welcome on what you think it shows,or don't show

We have no idea what it shows because you didn't bother to describe your setup or explain what you are doing to get the patterns. If you want some opinions you have to explain the experiments that are giving the patterns.

Make a new video but start each part with the lights on and show the setup and explain what you are going to do to make the patterns. Then show the patterns that result. Then go on to the next setup and do likewise.

bjacoby said:
We have no idea what it shows because you didn't bother to describe your setup or explain what you are doing to get the patterns. If you want some opinions you have to explain the experiments that are giving the patterns.

Make a new video but start each part with the lights on and show the setup and explain what you are going to do to make the patterns. Then show the patterns that result. Then go on to the next setup and do likewise.

i thought it didnt need explaining 2 lasers 2 single slits (2 pebbles in a pond )one wave cancel out another,what is there to explain

The interference pattern occurs on a per-photon basis. Photons do not interfere with one-another. So you would not expect interference between two lasers as the each photon still only passes through one slit.

kcdodd said:
The interference pattern occurs on a per-photon basis. Photons do not interfere with one-another. So you would not expect interference between two lasers as the each photon still only passes through one slit.
no it don't otherwise how does it do it with 1 laser and 2 slits,the first experement by young was with sunlight,it is all explaind with noncence,if you had 2 slits in water and a wave hits the slits they don't interfear,they re join as 1 wave you can see it happen with posts in water (a piear )funny thing is iv done the experiment with the lens removed from the laser (vid on youtube)and there is no expanding patterns,but banding inside the slit,iv got photos taken through a pin hole with 18 times zoom,to see the ring banding,photo through 2 slits 18 times zoom to get the lined banding,a few pic of laser without lens through a macro mesh,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinstuartfr0st/
thanks for your reply and time

If you placed the double slit in water you would in fact see the interference, I have seen it as a classroom demonstration. It all depends on the wavelength compared to the slit size and spacing.

1 laser and 2 slits interfere because the photon from the laser passes through both slits and interferes with itself. The same would be true from the sun, or any other source. If the photon can not travel through BOTH slits, there is no interference.

I'm not sure of your point on lens on the laser.

kcdodd said:
If you placed the double slit in water you would in fact see the interference, I have seen it as a classroom demonstration. It all depends on the wavelength compared to the slit size and spacing.

1 laser and 2 slits interfere because the photon from the laser passes through both slits and interferes with itself. The same would be true from the sun, or any other source. If the photon can not travel through BOTH slits, there is no interference.

I'm not sure of your point on lens on the laser.

well you can eather look at my video of lasers without lens,or if you want you can get a laser for a few £ or $ and try it for your self,
(this is a video of a shallow slit and deep double slit only 6 min long but for anyone that can't sit still that long 4.25 is where is starts with no lens on the laser.
your not one of them that think that just looking affects it are you ?
again thanks for your reply and time

So there is no two-slit interference when you take the lens off of the laser?

kcdodd said:
So there is no two-slit interference when you take the lens off of the laser?

yes there is no interference when you remove the lens,that on its own cast questions on it all,it is hard to explain but if you look at the pic on my photo page iv taken shots of laser without lens through a macro mesh,(from a grinder)there is a grid (banding)pattern but inside the projected mesh holes,didnt want to post link again but will just for them pic
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinstuartfr0st/sets/72157623369368368/
the dark bands betwen the banded squares is the shadsdow from the wire frame of the mesh,
again thanks for your reply

I can't imagine what difference a lens makes. At most it will polarize the light, and it should work fine unpolarized. The only thing I can think of is if there is some inherent polarization in your laser based on the incident angle (and the laser was close enough to the slits), which would allow some way of detecting which slit a photon went through. That would destroy the interference patter.

kcdodd said:
I can't imagine what difference a lens makes. At most it will polarize the light, and it should work fine unpolarized. The only thing I can think of is if there is some inherent polarization in your laser based on the incident angle (and the laser was close enough to the slits), which would allow some way of detecting which slit a photon went through. That would destroy the interference patter.

again thanks for your reply i have done a video because it is hard to explain but will try,get 2 Newton's rings and squeese them together and the straigh lines that form is the banding,
have to remember we are looking at a very small cross section of the whole picture,

What is a rotating single slit?

A rotating single slit is a setup where a single narrow opening is placed in front of a light source, and it is then rotated about its center. This creates a diffraction pattern on a screen placed behind the slit due to the interference of light waves passing through the slit at different angles.

What is the purpose of a rotating single slit?

The purpose of a rotating single slit is to study the properties of diffraction and interference of light. By rotating the slit, we can observe how the diffraction pattern changes and how the interference of light waves is affected by the slit's orientation.

What happens when two single slits are placed close together?

If two single slits are placed close together, they will produce a more complex interference pattern on the screen. The two patterns from the individual slits will merge and create a new pattern with additional bright and dark fringes.

How does the distance between the two single slits affect the interference pattern?

The distance between the two single slits, known as the slit separation, determines the spacing of the bright and dark fringes in the interference pattern. A smaller slit separation will result in a wider spacing of the fringes, while a larger separation will result in a narrower spacing.

What is the difference between a single slit and two single slits merging?

A single slit produces a simple diffraction pattern, while two single slits merging produce a more complex interference pattern. In a single slit, light waves passing through the slit interfere with each other, while in two single slits merging, the interference is between the two patterns created by the individual slits.