Anybody know the formula for the Magnus Effect?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Magnus effect in a physics experiment involving golf ball trajectories. The individual is trying to create a formula that factors in the Magnus effect, and after some research, proposes a formula involving angular velocity, horizontal velocity, and the radius of a sphere. They question whether this formula is viable and mention checking Wikipedia for more information on the Magnus effect.
plutonyum94
I realize I may way out of my depth here...
but i thought i'd jump in anyway.

so that's the question...is there a specific formula?

feel free to call me an idiot if I've got this all wrong :P

Cheers
Tony

EDIT:

sorry, i forgot a bit of background...
so I'm doing a physics experiment revolving around modelling true golf ball trajectories. the magnus effect plays a pretty large role, and in my hpothesis, i'd like to create a formula factoring it in.

EDIT2:
ok, so i THINK I've found a formula...
i don't know how everyone else gets the cool symbols, so I am just going to use regular letters. sorry if its confusing...

Fm = 2pi(p)(w)(vx)(h r^2)

where p = density at 25 degrees C, w = angular velocity, vx - horizontal velocity and h r^2 = height of cylinder multiplied by the radius squared.

this formula is for a cylinder.
i've rearranged it:
Fm = 2(p)(w)(vx)(pi r^2 h)

now, as far as i can remember, pir^2h is the formula for the volume of a cylinder...
as I am looking at golf, I've taken out that formula and replaced it with the formula for the volume of a sphere:

Fm = 2(p)(w)(vx)(4/3pi r^3)

which eventually, returns the pi to the front:

Fm = 8pi(p)(w)(vx)(r^3)

^^ that's divided by 3, btw.

ok, so is THIS is viable formula?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know where that formula came from, but have you checked Wikipedia's article on the magnus effect? See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect

There's a formula, along with typical values of the lift coefficient.

1. What is the Magnus effect?

The Magnus effect is the phenomenon in which a spinning object moving through a fluid experiences a force perpendicular to the direction of motion. This force is caused by differences in air pressure above and below the spinning object.

2. What is the formula for the Magnus effect?

The formula for the Magnus effect is F = ρ * V * S * C * ω, where F is the lift force, ρ is the air density, V is the velocity of the object, S is the cross-sectional area, C is the Magnus coefficient, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. How is the Magnus effect used in sports?

The Magnus effect is commonly seen in sports such as baseball, tennis, and soccer. In these sports, the spin of the ball creates a lift force that can cause the ball to curve in flight, making it more difficult for opponents to predict and react to.

4. Can the Magnus effect be applied to other objects besides sports balls?

Yes, the Magnus effect can be applied to any spinning object moving through a fluid, such as aircraft wings or blades of a wind turbine. Understanding and utilizing the Magnus effect can help improve the efficiency and performance of these objects.

5. How does the Magnus effect affect the flight of a spinning object?

The Magnus effect causes a spinning object to experience a lift force perpendicular to its direction of motion. This lift force can cause the object to curve in flight, making it more difficult to predict its trajectory. The effect can also increase or decrease the drag force on the object, depending on the direction of spin and the angle of attack.