Quatron quad pixel technology - From Sharp

In summary: The short of it is that you are right. RGB colors are a good match for our eyes' sensitivities. In other words, why aren't the filters on an RGB grid matched to the wavelength sensitivities of our eyes' color receptors? And where does this new color lie? I would think if it is on a straight line between red and green (a "true" yellow?), that it might be easier to see.In summary, Sharp has introduced the first 4 filter LCD pixel design which adds the new primary color Y(yellow) to the usual RGB (red, green, blue). Sharp claims that this addition will yield superior yellow, gold, and brass color renditions by expanding the pixel color gamut to include
nismaratwork said:
What video?

You know... just whatever video... really any video will do.
:rolleyes:

Computer science news on Phys.org
FlexGunship said:

Right? I have no idea what he's talking about, or if this was some spam attempt gone terribly awry. If not, I want to see the damned video! :rofl:

nismaratwork said:
Right? I have no idea what he's talking about, or if this was some spam attempt gone terribly awry. If not, I want to see the damned video! :rofl:

Obviously the video can only be appreciated on a TV with Quatron technology.

FlexGunship said:

ahhh c'mon, you're telling me I got to downgrade my pentatron tv?

FlexGunship said:
Just give Gillette a few months and they'll come out with a TV that has five. Schick will follow with one that has six. Then Gillette will add a pixel color to the back of the screen for watching very small shows.

FlexGunship said:
Oh man. I forgot I wrote this. I read it, and was like "LMAO, who the hell wrote that?" And it was Flex! I'm losing my freakin' mind. :bugeye:

EDIT: By the way, I do some work in the printing industry, and additional colors outside of CMYK are only useful in subtractive coloring (i.e. mixing ink or paint), but not in additive coloring (i.e. light).

http://www.printingforless.com/color.html

I seriously just did this again. I was re-reading the thread and I read the Gillette comment and laughed. Nismar... I hope it's just us in this thread, because my brain must be runny oatmeal by now or something.

EDIT: Crap. Greg's here.

Greg Bernhardt said:
what!? I come with beer!

And I come with your choice of fries or coleslaw!

I was hoping no one would see my embarrassing post. But... since you have beer. It's just a matter of time before the embarrass-o-meter levels out for all of us.

Eat, drink, and be merry!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPFq2nbxilH7T7BV_QdUAsf-YufnQ1GaLIxYRT7xsIKoJYvQgZ&t=1.jpg

Mmmmm... I'll bring Brats, some Polish mustard and German Sauerkraut (the good stuff, ingredients: Cabbage, Salt.)

nismaratwork said:
Mmmmm... I'll bring Brats, some Polish mustard and German Sauerkraut (the good stuff, ingredients: Cabbage, Salt.)

Bratz?!

[PLAIN]http://saseykassy14.webs.com/bratz_poster-12304%5B1%5D.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
FlexGunship said:
Bratz?!

[PLAIN]http://saseykassy14.webs.com/bratz_poster-12304%5B1%5D.jpg[/QUOTE] [Broken]

...and just like that, I die a little inside. :tongue2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Albern said:
Hi everyone,,
I see this video,,, It is really amazing and give a lot of information...
SO i recommended to see this video...
nismaratwork said:
What video?
FlexGunship said:
nismaratwork said:
Ah, you know, the video,,, the amazing video,,, much you will learn...
you should really watch the video,,, you you know,,, watch it,,, the video
FlexGunship said:
Greg Bernhardt said:
ahhh c'mon, you're telling me I got to downgrade my pentatron tv?
What!? Pentatron is ancient!
I have the next-generation state-of-the-art Googolplexatron TV. :biggrin:
I ordered the Grahamplexatron, but it hasn't arrived yet.

FlexGunship said:
I seriously just did this again. I was re-reading the thread and I read the Gillette comment and laughed. Nismar... I hope it's just us in this thread, because my brain must be runny oatmeal by now or something.
I'm here. :biggrin:
And don't forget that everyone on the Internet can read what you posted.

FlexGunship said:
EDIT: Crap. Greg's here.
What about me?

Greg Bernhardt said:
what!? I come with beer!
nismaratwork said:
...and just like that, I die a little inside. :tongue2:
Don't die, Nismar! Don't die!

Only a little DA, only a teensy tiny bit. Eventually I'll be a gray husk of a man, shuffling listesly... until then I'm just my happy-go-luck self. :wink:

Like Moonbear, it seems reasonable to me that there could be a valid effect here, just from the point of view of signal processing.

The eye has three types of color receptors, each of which responds to a fairly broad spectrum of frequencies, with a considerable amount of overlap.

So if you view monochromatic yellow light (e.g. a sodum lamp) you are exciting all three receptors with a single frequency, your brain is somehow combining the three responses, and you see "yellow".

On the other hand, if you view a computer screen, you are viewing three different frequencies of light (RGB) at different amplitudes, and again you see "yellow". Clearly the amplitude output from the three sensors is enough to do a reasonable job of fooling your brain, but who knows what information is getting lost because of the change in frequencies.

Colored ink is fundamentally different from a CRT or LED screen, because the reflected light does contain the complete frequency spectrum. AFAIK the reason for using more than three inks in high quality color printing is to give better control over the whole spectrum. "Metallic" colors are particularly hard to reproduce with only three inks.

If you mess around with the color palette in Photoshop etc, you soon discover that it is quite hard to control "dark yellow" colors, including browns. A separate yellow frequency might improve that - but without actually seeing the display live, thre is no way to tell.

But I think there is a big practical problem with all this, because the standards for transmission of color video are all based on a 3-color model, so without a new standard there is no independent "yellow" data to be displayed. This seems like a re-run of how to fake "surround sound" from a standard 2-channel recording.

mgb_phys said:
240px-CIExy1931_srgb_gamut.png
Looking at this diagram my guess would be a 6-color setup with the colors set at the very edge would have the greatest range. It seems that it leaves out a lot of the visible spectrum.

Though for it work the best, the original image/video displayed would need to be in those colors.One type (adobeRGB, I think) has its red outside the visual range, which allows it more colors within the triangle.

<h2>1. What is Quatron quad pixel technology?</h2><p>Quatron quad pixel technology is a display technology developed by Sharp that uses four subpixels (red, green, blue, and yellow) instead of the traditional three subpixels (red, green, and blue) to create a wider range of colors and enhance image quality.</p><h2>2. How does Quatron quad pixel technology work?</h2><p>Quatron quad pixel technology works by adding a yellow subpixel to the traditional RGB (red, green, blue) subpixel layout. This allows for more precise color reproduction and a wider color gamut, resulting in more realistic and vibrant images.</p><h2>3. What are the benefits of Quatron quad pixel technology?</h2><p>The main benefits of Quatron quad pixel technology include improved color accuracy, a wider color gamut, and enhanced image quality. It also allows for a more energy-efficient display, as the yellow subpixel requires less power than the traditional RGB subpixels.</p><h2>4. Is Quatron quad pixel technology compatible with all devices?</h2><p>No, Quatron quad pixel technology is currently only available on select Sharp TVs and monitors. It is not compatible with all devices, as it requires specific hardware and software to function properly.</p><h2>5. How does Quatron quad pixel technology compare to other display technologies?</h2><p>Quatron quad pixel technology is considered to be an improvement over traditional RGB display technologies, as it offers a wider color gamut and more realistic color reproduction. However, it may not be as advanced as newer technologies such as OLED or QLED displays.</p>

1. What is Quatron quad pixel technology?

Quatron quad pixel technology is a display technology developed by Sharp that uses four subpixels (red, green, blue, and yellow) instead of the traditional three subpixels (red, green, and blue) to create a wider range of colors and enhance image quality.

2. How does Quatron quad pixel technology work?

Quatron quad pixel technology works by adding a yellow subpixel to the traditional RGB (red, green, blue) subpixel layout. This allows for more precise color reproduction and a wider color gamut, resulting in more realistic and vibrant images.

3. What are the benefits of Quatron quad pixel technology?

The main benefits of Quatron quad pixel technology include improved color accuracy, a wider color gamut, and enhanced image quality. It also allows for a more energy-efficient display, as the yellow subpixel requires less power than the traditional RGB subpixels.

4. Is Quatron quad pixel technology compatible with all devices?

No, Quatron quad pixel technology is currently only available on select Sharp TVs and monitors. It is not compatible with all devices, as it requires specific hardware and software to function properly.

5. How does Quatron quad pixel technology compare to other display technologies?

Quatron quad pixel technology is considered to be an improvement over traditional RGB display technologies, as it offers a wider color gamut and more realistic color reproduction. However, it may not be as advanced as newer technologies such as OLED or QLED displays.

Back