555 timer strobe light not working

In summary: You should be able to hear the relay clicking every time you touch the loose end of the relay coil to ground. If you don't hear it clicking then either the relay is wired wrong, the 555 is not producing pulses or something else is wrong.In summary, the person is discussing their circuit that uses a 12v supply and 48 LEDs, adapted from a 6v version. They have had success with a previous version using single LEDs, but now that they have added more LEDs, only one bank lights up and stays lit without flashing. They have tried using relays at the output, but have not had success. They are asking for help and have provided a diagram of their circuit. The expert suggests simplifying the circuit
xxslackerxx
Hi, I have a circuit that I am working on that I adapted from the 6v version here http://electronician.blogspot.com/2009/09/555-timer-project-15v-led-flasher.html I have a 12v supply with a total of 48 leds 24 on each bank. I have gotten previous version to work with single leds but now that I have added more only one bank lights and it stays lit without ever flashing. I have found on info on other sites that prompted me to to put relays in where the output goes to led. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
When you put LEDs in series, the voltage needed to light the combination increases.

For example, if each LED needs 3.5 volts to operate, (if it was a white LED), then 10 of them would need 35 volts before you would see anything.

24 would need 84 volts.

With a 12 volt supply, you could light 3 LEDs with a series resistor of 68 ohms.
You could put more of these in parallel, though, up to the limit of what the 555 could drive.
Each time, you would need a resistor and 3 LEDs.

Before trying this, though, you might like to just make up one string of 3 LEDs and a resistor to see if it will be bright enough. You may even need to reduce it to TWO leds if yours need close to 4 volts. If you did this, the resistor should be about 180 ohms.

Thank You for your reply.
I do have the leds in parallel and I have gotten this to work on the breadboard fairly nicely, but when I soldered it all onto a chip it stopped. I've checked and rechecked solder joints but I cannot figure out what changed.

Btw they are 20 mA leds that use 3.3v forward. used a resistor calculator online to decide on the resistor values leds are getting enough power but seems to me that no pulse is coming from the 555 but that's just a student's impression

Maybe you could draw a diagram of what you are using? Just use MS Paint if you have Windows XP or draw it on paper and take a digital picture of it. Reduce it to under 100 K first, though.

See the little paper clip thing at the top of the edit screen? You can use that to attach a picture or a drawing.

Try to simplify your circuit and see if the 555 can switch ONE LED, then two, then three, etc.
It might just be overloaded.

Hello,
Although my paint skills are not the best I hope this helps.

Where:
C1 = 10uF
C2 = 0.1uF
R1 = 82 ohms
R2 = ! MegaOhm Variable Resistor
R3 = 150 Ohm
R4 = 150 Ohm

Six LED's in each bank,
Each LED specs are 20 mA and 3.3V

Attachments

• Circuit.jpg
    Circuit.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 432
Thanks for trying with Paint.

Here is how you could use relays to switch the LEds:

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/led%20switching%20with%20relay.PNG

Your diagram does not show you doing it like this.

Note the diode across the relay coil. This is to protect the driving device from spikes in voltage due to the coil.

The diagram on the right shows a transistor driving the relay if the 555 could not manage it.

The 555 output, or the transistor, only drives the coil of the relay. The LEDs are switched by the relay contacts.

Last edited by a moderator:
The original circuit used a single 555 to switch both banks without relays, I added them after I boosted the voltage and I did have diodes on the relays but when they were in nothing light up. at least without them one bank lights

You have the relay in now, so can you hear it clicking?

Relays normally make a noise when they switch on or off. If yours isn't clicking, your 555 may have blown up or the diode might be in the wrong way around. The diode should not affect the normal operation of the circuit.

Did you understand this:
The 555 output, or the transistor, only drives the coil of the relay. The LEDs are switched by the relay contacts.

I can only repeat this:
Try to simplify your circuit and see if the 555 can switch ONE LED, then two, then three, etc.
It might just be overloaded.

You might have LEDs in the wrong way around or lots of other things could be wrong, but you need to find them.

It clicks when power is switched on but not again. leds light when battery applied. What am I looking for if the ic is bad, or how can I test it.

I cut leds to just one per relay still just one led lit steady. I measured output pin with voltmeter reading close to -12v steady. I don't know if that wil help you or not.

The relay is not being switched.

With one end of the relay coil connected to 12 volts, disconnect the other end of the relay coil from the 555 output and connect this end to ground briefly. Does this cause the relay to make a clicking noise?

Do the LEDs turn on when you do this?

1. Why is my 555 timer strobe light not turning on?

There could be several reasons for this issue. First, check to make sure that all the connections are secure and there are no loose or broken wires. Next, check the power supply to ensure it is providing sufficient voltage to the circuit. Also, double-check the orientation of the components, as the timer will not work if they are placed incorrectly. If all else fails, consider replacing the 555 timer itself.

2. How can I adjust the frequency of the strobe light?

The frequency of the strobe light can be adjusted by changing the values of the resistors and capacitors in the timing circuit. Increasing the resistance or capacitance will decrease the frequency, while decreasing them will increase the frequency. You can also use a potentiometer to fine-tune the frequency.

3. Why is my strobe light flashing at irregular intervals?

This could be due to fluctuations in the power supply or variations in the components used. To ensure a consistent flash rate, use high-quality components and a stable power supply. You can also add a buffer circuit to regulate the voltage and minimize fluctuations.

4. How can I make my strobe light brighter?

The brightness of the strobe light can be increased by using a higher voltage power supply or by adding a transistor amplifier circuit. You can also experiment with different types of LEDs to find ones with a higher luminosity. Keep in mind that increasing the brightness may also decrease the lifespan of the LEDs.

5. Can I use a 555 timer to control multiple strobe lights?

Yes, you can use a 555 timer to control multiple strobe lights by connecting them in parallel to the output of the timer. However, this may decrease the overall brightness of each individual light. Alternatively, you can use multiple 555 timers connected in a master-slave configuration to control each strobe light independently.