What is the velocity of an electron accelerated through 50V?

• Thread starter Physics_Student
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, the correct way to calculate the velocity of an electron after being accelerated through 50V is to equate 50eV to its final kinetic energy. The electron volt is defined as the energy gained by an electron when accelerated through a potential difference of 1V, so 50V will impart 50eV to the electron. It is important to also consider initial energy, velocity, and direction when calculating this. The use of relativistic kinetic energy is not necessary in this scenario, as the electron's rest mass is much larger than the KE of 50eV.
Physics_Student
Simple question;

For an electron, what is its velocity after it has been accelerated through 50V?

I thought about equating 50eV to KE, but I know that's the wrong way, any ideas?

Nav

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics_Student said:
For an electron, what is its velocity after it has been accelerated through 50V?
I thought about equating 50eV to KE, but I know that's the wrong way, any ideas?

Why is that wrong ??

cheers,
Patrick.

dunno, it doesn't feel right? is that way the correct way?

It's correct because an electron volt is defined as the energy gained by an electron (elementary charge) when accelerated through a potential difference of 1 V. So 50V imparts 50eV to the electron, which is equal to its final kinetic energy. From that you can easily calculate it's final velocity.

Don't forget to consider initial energy, velocity, direction etc.

abd don't forget to calculate that using relativistic Kinetic Energy.

dont forget to calculate that using relativistic Kinetic Energy
I don't think that's needed here; the electron's rest mass is about 0.5MeV and we're talking a KE of 50eV.

1. What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle that carries a negative charge and orbits around the nucleus of an atom. It is one of the fundamental particles that make up all matter.

2. What is the charge of an electron?

The charge of an electron is -1. This means that it has one unit of negative charge.

3. How does an electron move?

Electrons can move in two ways: through orbiting around the nucleus of an atom, or through free movement in a conductor. The movement of electrons is influenced by electric and magnetic fields.

4. Can an electron be destroyed?

No, an electron cannot be destroyed. According to the law of conservation of energy, energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Electrons can only be transferred or converted into other forms of energy.

5. What are the applications of electron manipulation?

Electrons are used in a wide range of technologies, including electronics, telecommunications, and medical imaging. They are also utilized in scientific research, such as in particle accelerators to study subatomic particles and in electron microscopes to view tiny structures.