Speed of Light Thought Experiment

In summary, if you rotate a long object so that the part farthest away from you moves faster than the speed of light, you will deform or break the object.
Spoink
What would happen if you were to construct a massively lengthy object (Suppress your inner perv for a moment please) and rotated it so that the part of the object farthest away from you would theoretically move faster than light?

Science news on Phys.org
This is a very common misconception frequently brought up here. Any information concerning the motion of end A is transmitted to end B at the speed of sound in the material. If you make an effort, say with a sledge hammer, to move the stick at a speed faster then sound in the material you will simply deform the end while the vibrations created will travel away at the speed of sound.

BTW, the speed of sound in materials is MUCH smaller then the speed of light.

...For rotating objects, you'll find that the torque required to get it to rotate keeps increasing as the rotational speed increases, and you'll never get to C. It's the rotational equivalent of the linear speed 'barrier'.

Also the material stress in the rod becomes infinite.

Ok, so we attempt to spin a long rod. If the rod is not rigid then if we push the short end to hard the longer end will not stay straight but will bend. This leads me to the conclusion that the far end of any rod will not move at the same time as the short end. I well bet (with no real proof) that the wave of information moving to the far end of the rod will travel at the speed of sound in the rod. If you attempt to accelerate the short end faster then some value determined by the material the rod will either deform or break.

example, http://www.physicscentral.com/experiment/physicsathome/images/towers-falling.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the answers. I'm not incredibly well read but am steadily learning and hopefully such misconceptions will be erased from my world view as I gather more knowledge. :)

What is the "Speed of Light Thought Experiment"?

The "Speed of Light Thought Experiment" is a hypothetical scenario used to explain the concept of the speed of light and its implications on the laws of physics.

Why is the speed of light important in this thought experiment?

The speed of light, also known as c, is the fastest speed at which all matter and information can travel. It is a fundamental constant in the universe and plays a crucial role in our understanding of space, time, and the laws of physics.

What is the thought experiment's connection to Einstein's theory of relativity?

The "Speed of Light Thought Experiment" is closely related to Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

How does this thought experiment challenge our understanding of time and space?

The "Speed of Light Thought Experiment" challenges our traditional understanding of time and space because it shows that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their frame of reference. This means that time and space are relative concepts, and can be affected by an observer's motion.

What real-world applications does this thought experiment have?

The "Speed of Light Thought Experiment" has real-world applications in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and quantum mechanics. It has also led to the development of technologies such as GPS and satellite communications, which rely on our understanding of the constant speed of light.