Double integral to single by magic substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a "magic" substitution to convert a double integral into a single integral. The method involves replacing the variables and using polar coordinates, and while it may not make sense in terms of convergence, it is useful for certain calculations in particle physics.
rubenvb
double integral to single by "magic" substitution

Hi,

I have a double (actually quadruple, but the other dimensions don't matter here) integral which looks like this:

[tex] \iint_0^\infty \frac{d^2 k}{k^2} [/tex]

Now, someone here told me to replace that with

[tex] \int_0^\infty \frac{1}{2} 2\pi \frac{d k^2}{k^2} [/tex]

How and why is this ok? Thanks!

PS: For anyone wondering where this comes up: it's related to Elementary Particle physics and structure function calculation.

Physics news on Phys.org

If your first integral is meant to be:

[tex] I= \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_0^\infty \frac{\mathrm{d}k_1\, \mathrm{d} k_2}{k_1^2 + k_2^2} [/tex]

then you *could* use polar coordinates to give:

[tex] I = \int_0^\pi \int_0^\infty \frac{ r\mathrm{d} r\, \mathrm{d} \theta}{r^2} = \pi \int_0^\infty \frac{ \mathrm{d} r}{r} [/tex]

which seems to be the same as what you have written. However, the integral doesn't make a lot of sense - it fails to converge (logarithmic singularity). Although perhaps if this is from particle physics, you don't mind this divergence.

Thanks, that looks good. The integrand isn't complete here (waaaay too big to put here).

1. What is a double integral to single by magic substitution?

A double integral to single by magic substitution is a technique used in calculus to change a double integral into a single integral by substituting a variable in the integrand. This substitution is known as "magic" because it allows for easier integration and simplification of the integral.

2. How do you perform a double integral to single by magic substitution?

To perform a double integral to single by magic substitution, you first need to identify a suitable variable to substitute in the integrand. This variable should eliminate at least one of the variables of integration in the original double integral. Then, you can substitute the variable and integrate the resulting single integral using standard integration techniques.

3. What are the benefits of using a double integral to single by magic substitution?

The main benefit of using a double integral to single by magic substitution is that it simplifies the integration process. It can also help to solve more complex integrals that would be difficult to solve using traditional methods. This technique can also be used to evaluate multiple integrals in higher dimensions.

4. Are there any limitations to using a double integral to single by magic substitution?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a double integral to single by magic substitution. This technique may not work for all types of integrals and may not always result in a simpler integral. Additionally, the substitution may introduce extra terms that need to be handled in the integration process.

5. Where can I use a double integral to single by magic substitution?

A double integral to single by magic substitution can be used in a variety of applications, such as calculating areas, volumes, and averages of functions in two or more dimensions. It is also commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields that require the evaluation of multiple integrals.