Area of a non-right angled triangle with information missing

In summary, the area of the triangle in the attachment needs to be found, but the type of triangle and angles are not given. The diagram contains all the necessary information, and the formula for finding the area of a triangle is 0.5 x base x height. Looking up resources, such as a textbook or online page, can help in solving the problem.
tinky
The area of the triangle in the attachment has to be found.

It is not stated in the question what kind of a triangle it is nor are there any angles given.

I believe that there is information that has been left out of the diagram to solve this question (This is a question in a maths workbook by Schofields and Sims mental arithmathics 4).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tinky

Attachments

• tinky.jpg
    tinky.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org
The diagram has all the information needed. How do you find the area of a triangle?

No idea, i would've done it the easiest way which is to find the area of a rectangle and take away the areas of the two smaller triangles around the original triangle.

Thanks for the link. For some reason I didn't think 0.5xbxh = area would work with an oblique triangle..really silly of me

1. How do I find the area of a non-right angled triangle if I only have the length of one side and the height?

To find the area of a non-right angled triangle, you can use the formula A = (1/2)bh, where A is the area, b is the length of the base, and h is the height of the triangle. You can use this formula even if you only have the length of one side and the height, as long as the side given is the base of the triangle.

2. Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to find the area of a non-right angled triangle?

No, the Pythagorean theorem can only be used to find the length of the sides of a right angled triangle. It cannot be used to find the area of any triangle, including non-right angled triangles.

3. What information do I need to find the area of a non-right angled triangle?

To find the area of a non-right angled triangle, you need to know at least two of the following: the length of the base, the height, or the length of any two sides of the triangle. Depending on the information given, you may need to use different formulas to find the area.

4. How accurate is the area of a non-right angled triangle if I use the formula A = (1/2)bh?

The formula A = (1/2)bh is the most accurate way to find the area of a non-right angled triangle. However, the accuracy also depends on the accuracy of the measurements used. If the measurements are rounded or estimated, the calculated area will also be slightly off.

5. Can I use the same formula to find the area of any non-right angled triangle?

Yes, the formula A = (1/2)bh can be used to find the area of any non-right angled triangle, as long as you have the length of the base and the height. This formula is a general formula for finding the area of any triangle, regardless of whether it is right angled or not.