Interested in the whole earth magnetic polarity swap thing

In summary: Well, the point of this thread is that I think I have seen aurora on at least three occasions in the past two years. I live in and around East London, South Africa - which is actually relatively close to the 'South Atlantic magnetic depression' spoken about in the program. Apparently, there is a region over the South Atlantic where the Earth's magnetic field has become so weak, that Nasa turns off the Hubble whenever it travels over the region, simply to prevent any damage to the expensive electronics.I have not been able to take photographs of any of these phenomena I think are actually auroras, however I shall be sure to when I do get the opportunity. I can, however, describe them. Yesterday, I saw what
derryck1234
Hello, I am just very interested in the whole Earth magnetic polarity swap thing. I was informed by my Geography teacher as far back as 2001 about it, he said that the Earth was due for a magnetic polarity swap pretty soon.

I watched a program on Saturday about it. In the program they stated that one of the phenomena that would occur during such a swap is that aurora would be seen in more places, as the Earth's magnetic field would become weaker during the period prior to the swap.

Well, the point of this thread is that I think I have seen aurora on at least three occasions in the past two years. I live in and around East London, South Africa - which is actually relatively close to the 'South Atlantic magnetic depression' spoken about in the program. Apparently, there is a region over the South Atlantic where the Earth's magnetic field has become so weak, that Nasa turns off the Hubble whenever it travels over the region, simply to prevent any damage to the expensive electronics.

I have not been able to take photographs of any of these phenomena I think are actually auroras, however I shall be sure to when I do get the opportunity. I can, however, describe them.

I always see them on a very hot and humid day, on a small patch of the sky. The sky simply becomes colorful over that region, however, this region does not move around like the auroras of the north pole, it remains completely stationary. It also occurs much higher in the atmosphere.

Could I be seeing auroras?

Well, anyway, I just thought you guys would be interested.

Cheers

Derryck

Earth sciences news on Phys.org

Aurora are usually too faint to see in the day - although I'm wondering if you've seen a noctilucent cloud (essentially a cloud of ice crystals in the upper atmosphere that catches the sun). They're also very faint, but you generally see them around dusk...and they certainly sound a little more like your description.

derryck1234 said:
I was informed by my Geography teacher as far back as 2001 about it, he said that the Earth was due for a magnetic polarity swap pretty soon.

Can your teacher elaborate why we are due? Would that be the conclusion of http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v435/n7043/full/nature03674.html?

Their work elaborated http://scienceblogs.com/highlyallochthonous/2009/02/is_the_Earth's_magnetic_field_a.php[/URL]

[quote]This shows that the time between reversals is not constant, varying from a few hundred thousand years to many millions of years, ...
This longer view suggests that trying to predict the geomagnetic future from the 'periodicity' of past reversals is a risky enterprise, to say the least. [/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:

They actually have always appeared in the morning. But not at any particular time in the morning, in fact 2 out of the three occasions it appeared at around 10h00, the other, which was yesterday, appeared at 06h00 but went away very quickly.

1. What is a magnetic polarity swap?

A magnetic polarity swap refers to a phenomenon in which the Earth's magnetic field reverses, with the north and south magnetic poles switching places.

2. How often do magnetic polarity swaps occur?

Magnetic polarity swaps have occurred throughout the Earth's history, with an average frequency of about once every 200,000 to 300,000 years. However, the time between reversals can vary greatly and there is no predictable pattern.

3. What causes a magnetic polarity swap?

The exact cause of magnetic polarity swaps is still unknown, but it is believed to be related to changes in the Earth's core and the movement of molten iron. These changes can disrupt the Earth's magnetic field and lead to a reversal of polarity.

4. How is a magnetic polarity swap measured?

Scientists measure magnetic polarity swaps by studying the magnetic properties of rocks and sediments. When molten rocks cool and solidify, they preserve the orientation of the Earth's magnetic field at that time. By analyzing these rocks, scientists can determine the direction and strength of the Earth's magnetic field in the past.

5. Will a magnetic polarity swap have any impact on life on Earth?

There is no evidence to suggest that a magnetic polarity swap will have a direct impact on life on Earth. However, it may have some indirect effects, such as changes in the Earth's magnetic field affecting navigation for certain animal species. It is also possible that the Earth's magnetic field could weaken during a polarity swap, leaving the planet more vulnerable to solar radiation. However, this is still a topic of ongoing research and there is no conclusive evidence of any significant impacts on life or the environment.