Personal epiphany about Taylor theorem, true?

In summary, the conversation discusses the remainder in integral form of a Taylor series expansion and a method for finding the remainder by integrating by parts multiple times. The claim is that this method will cancel out all terms except for the last one, resulting in only f(x) remaining. The conversation confirms that this is true and provides the correct form of integration by parts to use for this method.
Reverberant
Hello,

I'm taking my first calculus course right now, and something struck me regarding the remainder in integral form of a Taylor series expansion:

Let's say we have a Taylor expansion of the (n-1):th order, which has a remainder of the form

238fexl.png

Now, my claim is that if we integrate by parts n-1 times (I think), then every term of the integrated remainder, except for the last one, will cancel out a term of the Taylor polynomial; leaving only f(x). Thus, all we have left is the equation f(x)=f(x).

Is this true, and if so, can you confirm that the form of integration by parts to be used is
2u5zryc.png

and not
35q3npa.png

?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Reverberant said:
Hello,

I'm taking my first calculus course right now, and something struck me regarding the remainder in integral form of a Taylor series expansion:

Let's say we have a Taylor expansion of the (n-1):th order, which has a remainder of the form

238fexl.png

Now, my claim is that if we integrate by parts n-1 times (I think), then every term of the integrated remainder, except for the last one, will cancel out a term of the Taylor polynomial; leaving only f(x). Thus, all we have left is the equation f(x)=f(x).

Is this true, and ...

Thanks in advance!
Just do it.

[tex]\displaystyle \text{We use the notation, } f^{(n)}(t)={{d^n}\over{dt^n}}f(t)\,.[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle \text{Let } u= (x-t)^{n-1}\ \to \ {{d}\over{dt}}u=-(n-1)(x-t)^{n-2}\,.\ \ \text{Let } dv=f^{(n)}(t)}\, dt\ \to \ v=f^{(n-1)}(t)(n-1)(x-t)^{n-2}\,.[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle {{1}\over{n!}}\int_a^x{n(x-t)^{n-1}\,f^{(n)}(t)}\, dt[/tex] [tex]\displaystyle = {{1}\over{(n-1)!}}\left(\left[ (x-t)^{n-1}f^{(n-1)}(t)\right]_a^x - \int_a^x{-(n-1)(x-t)^{n-2}\,f^{(n-1)}(t)}\, dt \right)[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle = {{0\cdot f^{(n-1)}(x)-(x-a)^{n-1}f^{(n-1)}(a)}\over{(n-1)!}}\,+\,{{1}\over{(n-1)!}}\left( \int_a^x{(n-1)(x-t)^{n-2}\,f^{(n-1)}(t)}\, dt \right)[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle = \,-\,{{(x-a)^{n-1}f^{(n-1)}(a)}\over{(n-1)!}}\,+\,{{1}\over{(n-1)!}}\left( \int_a^x{(n-1)(x-t)^{n-2}\,f^{(n-1)}(t)}\, dt \right)[/tex]
This will subtract the (n-1)th order term of the Taylor expansion of f(x) and leave a Taylor expansion of the (n-2)th order plus the integral which is the remainder.

So, yes your claim is correct!

Last edited:
Sweet, thanks!

1. What is Taylor's theorem and how does it relate to personal epiphanies?

Taylor's theorem is a mathematical concept that allows us to approximate a complex function with a simpler one. It is often used in calculus and other areas of mathematics. In terms of personal epiphanies, it can be seen as a way to break down complex thoughts or realizations into simpler parts, making them easier to understand and process.

2. Can Taylor's theorem be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, Taylor's theorem can be applied to real-life situations. For example, it can be used to model the growth of a population, the trajectory of a projectile, or the behavior of a chemical reaction. It can also be applied to personal experiences or moments of insight, by breaking them down into smaller components and understanding them better.

3. Is Taylor's theorem always accurate?

No, Taylor's theorem is an approximation and therefore may not always be completely accurate. The accuracy of the approximation depends on the complexity of the function and the number of terms used in the approximation. In some cases, using more terms can improve the accuracy of the approximation.

4. How is Taylor's theorem different from other mathematical concepts?

Taylor's theorem is unique in that it allows us to approximate a function using information about the function and its derivatives at a specific point. Other mathematical concepts, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, involve finding exact solutions rather than approximations.

5. How can understanding Taylor's theorem benefit me as a scientist?

Understanding Taylor's theorem can benefit you as a scientist in several ways. It can help you make approximations and predictions in complex systems, analyze data and make conclusions, and break down complex problems into simpler parts. It can also aid in the development of new mathematical models and theories.