Solve Free Body Diagrams: What to Do?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve a problem involving finding the net force acting on an object. The question is poorly written and lacks necessary information, such as whether the coefficient of friction is for static or kinetic friction. The suggested approach is to separate the horizontal and vertical forces and use Newton's Second Law to find the frictional force. The solution is estimated to be 15N [R].
ssj-gohan
im having trouble solving this? what do i do with mew? thanks :cry:

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The question should really give you more information. Is mu the coefficient of static or kinetic friction? What is [itex]F_{1}[/itex]? I'm assuming [itex]F_{2}[/itex] is the applied force, and [itex]F_{1}[/itex] is the net force. Maybe they want you to find the frictional force? Seriously, this is the worst-written question I've ever seen. Are you sure you included everthing? The way it is, there is no unknown variable. Oh boy...

What specifically are you trying to solve. The net force on the object?

If so a good place to start would be to separate your horizontal and vertical forces. Don't forget that you can convert F2 into horizontal and vertical components aswell.

Don't forget Newton's Second Law. The frictional force can be found using the normal force (all required information is given) and the coefficient of friction.

Then you should have everything you need to complete the problem and find the net force acting on the mass.

I rushed through the problem and I didn't have a calculator on hand but I believe the solution should come out to approximately 15N [R].

Last edited:

What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It shows all the external forces acting on the object, such as gravity, friction, and applied forces.

Why is it important to use free body diagrams?

Free body diagrams are important because they help us understand the forces acting on an object and how those forces affect its motion. They allow us to analyze and solve problems involving forces in a systematic and organized manner.

How do I draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, start by sketching the object in question as a simple shape. Then, identify and label all the external forces acting on the object. Finally, draw arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of each force.

What are the steps for solving problems using free body diagrams?

The steps for solving problems using free body diagrams are as follows:

1. Identify the object in question and draw a free body diagram for it.
  2. Summarize all the known information, including the forces and their magnitudes.
  3. Apply Newton's laws of motion to set up equations for the forces acting on the object.
  4. Solve the equations to find the unknown quantities, such as acceleration or force.
  5. Check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using free body diagrams?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using free body diagrams include:

• Forgetting to include all the forces acting on the object.
  • Mislabeling or miscalculating the magnitudes of the forces.
  • Not considering the direction of the forces correctly.
  • Using incorrect units for the forces or other quantities.
  • Forgetting to check your final answer for accuracy and reasonableness.