Resultant velocity of a plane and a vector addition diagram

In summary, the first conversation discusses an airplane flying at 300 km/hr with a heading of 35* south of west, while experiencing a 78 km/hr wind blowing in the direction of 55* south of east. The resultant velocity of the plane can be calculated by using trigonometry to find the perpendicular components of the vectors. The second conversation involves finding the resultant force of three concurrent forces (85 N S50*E, 50 N N45*E, and 70 N N30*W) acting on an object, which can also be calculated using trigonometry or a protractor and ruler.
muse
--An airplane flies at 300 km/hr with a heading of 35* south of west, as a 78 km/hr wind blows in the direction of 55* south of east. The resultant velocity of the plane is...

--A force of 85 N S50*E, a force of 50 N N45*E, and a force of 70 N N30*W act concurrently on an object. Draw a vector diagram and find the resultant force.

I've tried to do these, I was absent from school a few days and missed instruction on how to work them out..I'd appreciate any help :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can use trig to separate the vectors into perpendicular components (say a northward and a westward component) then you can do componentwise addition.

You could also use a protractor and a ruler, but it's harder to get precise answers that way.

ok I'm still confused...i'm assuming that was for the 2nd question, does anyone know how to do the first?

1. What is the resultant velocity of a plane?

The resultant velocity of a plane is the overall velocity of the plane, taking into account both its speed and direction. It is the vector sum of the individual velocities of the plane, considering any changes in direction or magnitude.

2. How is the resultant velocity of a plane calculated?

The resultant velocity of a plane is calculated using vector addition. This involves breaking down the velocity into its horizontal and vertical components, and then adding these components together using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions.

3. What is a vector addition diagram?

A vector addition diagram is a graphical representation of vector addition. It typically consists of arrows representing the individual vectors, with the length and direction of the arrows representing the magnitude and direction of the vectors, respectively. The resultant vector is then drawn by connecting the tail of the first vector to the head of the last vector.

4. Why is it important to calculate the resultant velocity of a plane?

Calculating the resultant velocity of a plane is important for understanding the overall motion of the plane. It allows for accurate predictions of the plane's position and speed, and is essential for safe and efficient navigation.

5. Can the resultant velocity of a plane ever be greater than the individual velocities?

Yes, the resultant velocity of a plane can be greater than the individual velocities. This can occur when the individual velocities are in opposite directions, resulting in a larger overall velocity when they are added together. This is known as constructive interference and is a common occurrence in vector addition.