Dissolving solid copper chloride

In summary, copper chloride is a chemical compound used in industrial processes that exists in solid and liquid forms. It dissolves in water through a process called hydration, with factors such as temperature, surface area, and agitation affecting the rate of dissolution. The process is exothermic, releasing heat due to the breaking of bonds between copper and chlorine atoms. After dissolution, the copper and chlorine ions are evenly distributed in water and can react or remain in solution until the water evaporates.
alex-book
Hi All

I have a question regarding what type of chemical/solution that is recommended to dissolve solidified Copper(I) chloride around a ceramic coated sample. I know HCl and ammonia both works well with the copper(I) chloride). However, I don't want to damage the sample. I have tried EDTA but it works in a really slow manner. Any suggestion what kind of solution that could work?

Thank you all for your time and attention

Alex

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Copper(I) salts tend to be stubborn but I have a recollection that acetone wasn't too bad when I tried once.

What is copper chloride?

Copper chloride is a chemical compound composed of copper and chlorine atoms. It exists in both solid and liquid forms and is commonly used in various industrial processes.

How does solid copper chloride dissolve?

Solid copper chloride dissolves in water through a process called hydration. The water molecules surround and separate the copper and chlorine ions, allowing them to move freely and dissolve into the water.

What factors affect the rate of dissolving solid copper chloride?

The rate of dissolving solid copper chloride is affected by factors such as temperature, surface area, and agitation. Higher temperatures, larger surface areas, and increased agitation all promote faster dissolution.

Is dissolving solid copper chloride an exothermic or endothermic process?

The process of dissolving solid copper chloride in water is exothermic, meaning it releases heat. This is because energy is released when the bonds between the copper and chlorine atoms are broken.

What happens to the copper and chlorine ions after solid copper chloride is dissolved?

After solid copper chloride is dissolved, the copper and chlorine ions become evenly distributed throughout the water. They can then react with other substances or remain in solution until the water evaporates, leaving behind solid copper chloride crystals.