Electron photographed for the first time

In summary: I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say. It looks like the electron waves are interfering with each other and it looks like it has a blue hue to it.Is it just a single electron or are there many of them?In summary, the video demonstrates a new method for imaging and guiding electrons with sub-femtosecond precision.
luckis11
"Electron photographed for the first time"

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/3007/Video__Electron_filmed_for_first_time_ever/

An electron rides on a light wave after just having been pulled away from an atom.

Is somebody certain of where and what exactly was THAT which created that blue shape on the picture? I mean, a guess of mine is: THAT is the thick part of a cylidrical longitudinal wave (ray) which is the laser-like "electron beam", and has a diametre equal to the diametre of the ray. Exactly as a sound wave has thick and sparse areas of molecules. More exactly, like the thick part a ultrasound laser-like ray. How much correct is my guess? Check this out too:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Nobody knows what the electron is?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll take the time to look at the vids, but I can offer this for now:
An electron is an electron is an electron.

It's a fundamental particle(not made up of other smaller particles)

Likes Science2020

I'm not understanding what the video is showing. Is that whole thing the electron, or is the electron somewhere in the circles and stuf? If the whole thing is the electron, I'm guessing that it looks the way it does because of wavelike interference and such?

Yeah, I agree.
Not much to go on here.

does it say how big it is?

http://arxiv.org/abs/0708.1060

Here we demonstrate an attosecond quantum stroboscope capable of guiding and imaging electron motion on a sub-femtosecond (1 fs = 10-15 s) time scale. It is based on a sequence of identical attosecond pulses6 which are synchronized with a guiding laser field. The pulse to pulse separation in the train is tailored to exactly match an optical cycle of the laser field and the electron momentum distributions are detected with a velocity map imaging spectrometer (VMIS)7,8.

Pioneering experiments with femtosecond infrared (IR) laser fields have demonstrated that temporally localized electron wave packets (EWPs) can be used to study molecular structures and dynamics

So that whole thing is the electron then right? Or the momentum distributions of it or whatever?

1. What is an electron and why is it important?

An electron is a subatomic particle that carries a negative charge. It is one of the fundamental building blocks of matter and plays a crucial role in many processes, such as electricity and chemical reactions.

2. How was the electron photographed for the first time?

The first photograph of an electron was taken by a team of scientists using a technique called quantum electron microscopy. This involved shining a beam of electrons onto a sample and using a special camera to capture the scattered electrons, creating an image of the electron's shape and movement.

3. Why is it significant to photograph an electron?

Photographing an electron allows scientists to better understand its behavior and properties. It also provides valuable insights into the structure of matter at a microscopic level, leading to advancements in various fields such as materials science and nanotechnology.

4. How does this discovery impact our understanding of the universe?

The discovery and photographing of the electron provided evidence for the existence of subatomic particles, which revolutionized our understanding of the universe. It confirmed the existence of a subatomic world and opened up new possibilities for scientific exploration.

5. What are the potential applications of this discovery?

The discovery and photographing of the electron has numerous potential applications, such as improving electronic devices and developing new technologies in fields like medicine and energy. It also has implications for understanding the behavior of matter in extreme conditions, such as in black holes or during the early stages of the universe.