Deep water organisms (Very Deep)

• Thread starter Osviux
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, organisms living in deep waters are much bigger than those on land because there is a greater availability of food and less pressure from the surrounding environment.
Osviux
Hello, I would like to ask why are organism which live in deep waters are much bigger than those that are living on land? For example in deep water you can find very big spiders. Shouldnt organisms be smaller because of the presure in big depths?

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if it is fair to suggest that organisms living in the deep sea are bigger than those on land. There are many constraints on the size at which species can evolve to, larger sizes may not be an advantage at all as they require more food, produce more waste heat and are more susceptible to changes in the food chain.

Getting back the the deep see there are not many organisms that are that large, food is scarce at the bottom of the sea. Options include predation, particularly on the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremophile" and the rare occurrence of a large organism (e.g. whale) falling from higher waters. Whilst we're on the latter I remember seeing a wildlife documentary once where thousands of species had spent months breaking down a whale corpse all the way to the bone.

Regarding http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_sea#Biology" many species are still quite small in size i.e. measured in tens of centimetres. IMO The pressure may not have too much of an effect on size, remember that the creatures will be mainly water themselves, the density of water in them could be far greater than it is in us humans so as to match that of the environment pressure. High pressure is a relative thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Osviux said:
Hello, I would like to ask why are organism which live in deep waters are much bigger than those that are living on land? For example in deep water you can find very big spiders. Shouldnt organisms be smaller because of the presure in big depths?

This book is *the best*:

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/books/nouvian/index.html

There are large organisms, but most appear to be very small and >95% water.

I think i mixed up gravity with pressure ;/

Osviux said:
Hello, I would like to ask why are organism which live in deep waters are much bigger than those that are living on land?

Where did you read this? Any references?

Osviux said:
For example in deep water you can find very big spiders.

I think you meant sea spiders.

Osviux said:
Shouldnt organisms be smaller because of the presure in big depths?

Like Ryan said, I don't think pressure (or gravity) would affect body size. Far more important factors are availability of resources and susceptibility to predation.
A very interesting observation is the island rule. While not exactly a rule since it
has been shown that many families do not comply with it, I have found a correlation between this trend and deep sea creatures in this study.
craigmcclain.com/Papers/McClain_J BIOGEO_2006.pdf

Last edited:

1. What is considered a "deep water" organism?

A deep water organism is any species that lives in the depths of the ocean below 200 meters. These depths are considered the "twilight zone" where there is little to no sunlight and the pressure is much higher than at the surface.

2. How do deep water organisms survive in such extreme conditions?

Deep water organisms have adapted to survive in low light and high pressure environments by developing unique physical and physiological characteristics. Some have bioluminescent organs to attract prey, while others have thick, gelatinous bodies to withstand the pressure. Many also have slow metabolisms and specialized respiratory and circulatory systems to conserve energy.

3. What types of organisms are found in the deep sea?

The deep sea is home to a diverse range of organisms, including fish, invertebrates, bacteria, and even larger creatures like whales and sharks. Many of these organisms are unique to the deep sea and have not been found in other parts of the ocean.

4. How do scientists study deep water organisms?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study deep water organisms, including remotely operated vehicles (ROVs), submersibles, and cameras attached to deep sea instruments. They also collect samples using nets and sediment corers. Additionally, scientists can study deep sea organisms in controlled environments, such as aquariums and laboratories.

5. Why is it important to study deep water organisms?

Studying deep water organisms helps us better understand the biodiversity and evolution of life on Earth. It also provides insights into the functioning of deep sea ecosystems and how they may be impacted by human activities such as deep sea mining and climate change. Additionally, deep water organisms may hold potential for medical and technological advancements through the discovery of new compounds and adaptations.