Chain Rule for Quotients: Explained!

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the chain rule and quotient rule to find the derivative of 1/(t^4 + 1)^3. Both methods are explained and compared, with the conclusion that the chain rule may be a faster and less error-prone approach.
ziddy83
Hey what's up,
I had a question on the chain rule...How would I use the chain rule on a quotient...like if i have 1/(t^4 + 1)^3 , Would I use the quotient rule first, or just start with the chain rule?

Physics news on Phys.org
ok use the chain rule SO:

(bottom*d of top - top (d of bottom) )/bottom squared

wen u do all that u get (i may be wrong though)

-12t^3/(t^4 +1)^4

there are many rules u can use

like i used the quotient rule there
u can also solve it by using the prduct rule (WHICH I GOT WRONG ON THE TEST ERRR)

cool..thanks man.

Either one works.

Quotient rule:

[tex]f(t) = \frac{p(t)}{q(t)} = \frac{1}{(t^4 + 1)^3}[/tex]
so
[tex]p(t) = 1[/tex]
and
[tex]q(t) = (t^4+1)^3[/tex]
which are both functions of t.

Alternatively, the chain rule:

[tex]f(t) = f(u(t)) = \frac{1}{u^3}[/tex]
where [itex]u(t) = t^4 + 1[/itex]

So we have

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}f(u(t)) = \frac{df}{du}\frac{du}{dt}[/tex]
[tex] = \frac{d}{du}\left( u^{-3} \right) \frac{d}{dt}\left( t^4 + 1 \right) = (-3u^{-4})\cdot (4t^3) = \frac{-12t^3}{(t^4+1)^4}[/tex]

I imagine the chain rule method is a bit faster, and I personally think I'd be more likely to make a silly mistake with the quotient rule, so.

--Justin

1. What is the chain rule for quotients?

The chain rule for quotients is a mathematical rule that allows you to find the derivative of a quotient function. It states that the derivative of a quotient function is equal to the numerator's derivative multiplied by the reciprocal of the denominator, minus the denominator's derivative multiplied by the reciprocal of the numerator, all divided by the square of the denominator.

2. When should I use the chain rule for quotients?

The chain rule for quotients should be used when the function you are trying to find the derivative of is a quotient of two functions. For example, if you have a function f(x) = g(x) / h(x), where g(x) and h(x) are both functions of x, then you would use the chain rule for quotients to find f'(x).

3. How do I apply the chain rule for quotients?

To apply the chain rule for quotients, you first need to find the derivatives of the numerator and denominator separately. Then, plug these derivatives into the formula for the chain rule for quotients, which states that f'(x) = (g'(x) * h(x) - g(x) * h'(x)) / (h(x))^2.

4. Can the chain rule for quotients be applied to more than two functions?

Yes, the chain rule for quotients can be applied to any number of functions in a quotient. However, it can become more complex when there are multiple functions involved, so it is important to carefully apply the rule and double check your work.

5. What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule for quotients?

Some common mistakes when using the chain rule for quotients include forgetting to use the reciprocal of the denominator, not properly finding the derivatives of the numerator and denominator, and mixing up the order of the numerator and denominator in the formula. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.