How Do Microwave Chokes Work?

• Thread starter MadScience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microwave
In summary, the conversation is about understanding how microwave chokes work and looking for references with simple explanations. The specific frequencies and microwave propagation mechanisms are not specified. The discussion includes using a choke as a DC source for power supply and for isolation from other stages. Some details are given about using a choke for an axially segmented wave guide in the 20-40 GHz range and the concept of choke stubs and slots is mentioned, but the exact reasons for their design choices are not clear.
MadScience
Does anyone know how microwaves chokes work?

Or have any references with simple explanations?

Engineering news on Phys.org
MadScience said:
Does anyone know how microwaves chokes work?

Or have any references with simple explanations?

Welcome to the PF.

Can you be more specific? What frequencies are you asking about? And what is the microwave propagation mechanism you are addressing? Do you mean inductive impedance on a PCB microwave frequency circuit? Or are you referring to something in a waveguide structure?

What are you trying to do? Need more info. Are you referring to using it as a dc source to supply power to say collector of a transistor but like an open circuit at the microwave frequency? Also it serve as isolation from the other stages.

From circuit I've seen, in theory, it is same as an inductor that is short circuit at dc and high impedance at desired rf frequency. There is no difference between rf or lf, a choke is a choke. You just need to worry a lot about parasitic and distributing effect due physical dimension.

Some more details:

I'm trying to understand how a choke would work for an axially segmented wave guide (with circumferential slots) in the 20 - 40 GHz region. Eventually I want to do it for a cylindrical wave guide but to start just understanding the cartesian version would be good.

I had a look at some of the original papers on chokes but the best understanding I was able to get was that they work something like lecher lines.

For instance, I can see intuitively why a choke stub should be about 1/4 wavelength long, but I don't know concretely why. Also, why have many stubs with small gaps between them? And how is the dimension of the slot chosen to minimize leakage?

1. How do microwave chokes work?

Microwave chokes work by reducing or eliminating electromagnetic interference (EMI) at high frequencies. They are typically used in electronic circuits to suppress unwanted noise and maintain signal integrity.

2. What is the purpose of a microwave choke?

The purpose of a microwave choke is to prevent high frequency signals from escaping or entering a circuit, thus reducing or eliminating EMI. This is especially important in sensitive electronic devices that require precise and accurate signals.

3. How does a microwave choke reduce EMI?

A microwave choke reduces EMI by creating a high impedance path for high frequency signals, effectively blocking them from entering or escaping a circuit. This is achieved by using a coiled wire or a ferrite core, which creates a magnetic field that cancels out the high frequency signals.

4. What types of circuits require microwave chokes?

Microwave chokes are commonly used in high frequency circuits, such as radio transmitters, receivers, and computer circuits. They are also used in electronic devices that are sensitive to EMI, such as medical equipment, telecommunications devices, and aerospace technology.

5. Can microwave chokes be used in all electronic devices?

No, microwave chokes are specifically designed for use in high frequency circuits and may not be effective in lower frequency circuits. Additionally, different types of chokes may be required for different frequencies and applications. It is important to consult with an expert to determine the best type of choke for a specific circuit or device.