Reducing Noise in Waveform - Tips & Techniques

• Thread starter rama1001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Noise
In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on how to differentiate mechanical noise from the time and frequency domain waveforms. They have designed a program in LABview but are looking for a more efficient method. The suggested approach is to use a bandpass filter at the desired signal frequency, possibly with the use of an RC high-pass and low-pass stage or a low bandwidth op-amp for gain.
rama1001
Hello,
I have a waveform that have noise when my pump stroke hit some mechanical part. i have converted the waveform into frequency domain to see the noise frequencies. I don't know the actual original frequency of the pump but i just decresed noise by stroke not touching the mechanical part(physically) and chekced for the original frequencies which are in around 170hz to 190Hz. When there is mechanical noise, frequencies are in 0 to 1kHz for small pump and 0 to 2kHz for big one. I desinged a program in LABview based amplitude leves and that is not at all efficient and more i need to change amplitude levels always for different kind of pumps.

Can some one help me how can i differentiate these mechanical noise from the time domain waveform or freq domain waveform. I just need some theoretical guidence and i can use again labview to make it practical. See the attchments for pictures at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=527895

and down here in FFT.

Attachments

• good after fft.jpg
    good after fft.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 399
  • noise after fft.jpg
    noise after fft.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 369
Engineering news on Phys.org
A simple bandpass filter at the desired signal frequency is the straight-forward approach.

Depending on the noise level, this can be a single RC high-pass stage followed by a single RC low-pass. I've even used an RC high-pass followed by a low bandwidth op-amp for needed gain. The op-amp then also serves as the low-pass stage.

Cheers,
Tom

1. How does noise affect waveforms?

Noise can distort the shape of waveforms, making them difficult to interpret and analyze. It can also obscure important features or signals within the waveform.

2. What are some common sources of noise in waveforms?

Noise can come from a variety of sources, such as electrical interference, thermal noise, or environmental factors like vibrations or electromagnetic radiation.

3. What techniques can be used to reduce noise in waveforms?

There are several techniques that can be used to reduce noise in waveforms, including filtering, averaging, and signal processing algorithms. Filtering involves removing unwanted frequencies from the signal, while averaging involves taking multiple measurements and averaging them to reduce random noise. Signal processing algorithms can also be used to isolate and remove noise from a waveform.

4. What are some tips for minimizing noise in waveforms?

To minimize noise in waveforms, it is important to use high-quality equipment, properly ground and shield electronic components, and reduce sources of interference. It can also be helpful to take multiple measurements and average them, or to use signal processing techniques to remove noise.

5. Are there any risks associated with reducing noise in waveforms?

Reducing noise in waveforms can improve data accuracy and make it easier to interpret and analyze the signal. However, it is important to be cautious when using signal processing techniques, as they can potentially distort the signal if not applied correctly. It is also important to ensure that the noise being removed is actually unwanted and not a crucial part of the signal.