More than one frequency appearing in a circuit?

In summary, when a circuit is oscillated at one frequency, additional frequencies can be generated by using non-linear components such as diodes. These frequencies can be harmonics of the fundamental or unrelated to it. Capacitors and inductors can also create additional resonances and cause oscillation at multiple frequencies simultaneously. In a specific circuit with a transformer and secondary coils, the presence of diodes may be causing the occurrence of additional frequencies.
hobbs125
If a circuit is oscillated at one frequency what basic components (resistors, capacitors, inductors) or configurations of components can cause other frequencies to appear?

Engineering news on Phys.org
None of the above, in order for more frequencies to be generated (usually harmonics) you need some non-linear component in the circuit; such as a diode.

Ok, can you explain how it happens? I've been trying to understand but I don't quite get it?

What kinds of other frequencies are you seeing. Are they harmonics of the fundamental or are they unrelated to the fundamental.

Both capacitors and inductors may create additional resonances and cause oscillation on more than one frequency at the same time. I've accidentally done that.

I think that may be what's happening. I've got a circuit which consists of a transformer with three secondary coils connected in series. The transformer is pulsed with a square wave. Each secondary coil has a capacitance in parallel which is the coils capacitance. The circuit is oscillated so the secondary coils are at resonance to limit current. Two of The coils have a diode between them which is forward biased during the on time.

The circuits purpose is to charge a capacitor to a high voltage while limiting current.

I'm actually getting an am waveform across the coils which leads me to believe the frequencies are close.
What I'm not understanding though is how it's occurring.

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of having more than one frequency in a circuit?

Having more than one frequency in a circuit means that the circuit is capable of responding to multiple input signals at different frequencies. This can be useful in a variety of applications, such as filtering or amplifying specific frequencies.

2. How is the presence of multiple frequencies in a circuit detected?

The presence of multiple frequencies in a circuit can be detected using a spectrum analyzer or oscilloscope. These instruments display the different frequencies present in a signal and their amplitudes, allowing for analysis and identification of the frequencies present in the circuit.

3. Can having too many frequencies in a circuit cause problems?

Yes, having too many frequencies in a circuit can cause problems such as interference and distortion. This is because the circuit may not be able to accurately respond to all of the frequencies at once, leading to incorrect or distorted output signals.

4. How can the frequencies in a circuit be controlled or adjusted?

The frequencies in a circuit can be controlled or adjusted by using filters, which are components that can selectively allow or block certain frequencies. Additionally, the values of resistors, capacitors, and inductors within the circuit can be adjusted to change the frequencies that are present.

5. What are some practical applications of circuits with multiple frequencies?

Circuits with multiple frequencies have many practical applications, such as in communication systems, audio equipment, and medical devices. They can be used to filter out unwanted frequencies, amplify specific frequencies, and perform signal processing tasks.