Re: Piezoelectric dimensions problem in energy harvesting

In summary, the conversation discusses doubts related to a project on piezoelectric energy harvesting using a cantilever structure. The speaker designed a structure with three layers and noticed that the generated electric potential values were nonlinear when the piezoelectric layer thickness was increased, despite theoretical expectations. They request information and suggest using an actual device and its datasheet for more accurate properties.
jagan414
hi

I am doing project on piezoelectric energy harvesting which is a cantilever structure using COMSOL. I have some doubts related to my project. I designed cantilever structure having three layers substrate (SiC), piezo (ZnO) and electrode (Al). My doubt is that when piezoelectric layer thickness is increasing, generated electric potential values are nonlinear . But I saw theoritically electric potential is directly proportional to thickness of piezoelectric. Please anyone share the information regarding this topic.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
I wouldn't use theory for that problem. Actual devices are usually more complicated than simple theories.

Choose the actual piezoelectric device, then get the datasheet for it's properties.

1. What is piezoelectricity and how does it relate to energy harvesting?

Piezoelectricity refers to the ability of certain materials (such as crystals and ceramics) to generate an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress. This phenomenon is utilized in energy harvesting, where the mechanical energy from sources such as vibrations or pressure is converted into electrical energy.

2. What is the "dimensions problem" in piezoelectric energy harvesting?

The "dimensions problem" refers to the challenge of maximizing the amount of energy that can be harvested from a piezoelectric material. This is because the amount of energy generated is directly proportional to the size of the material, but increasing the size also increases the weight and cost of the system. Thus, finding the optimal dimensions for efficient energy harvesting is a key challenge.

3. What are some potential applications of piezoelectric energy harvesting?

Piezoelectric energy harvesting has a wide range of potential applications, including powering small electronic devices, sensors, and wearable technology. It can also be used in structural health monitoring of buildings and bridges, as well as in renewable energy sources such as wind and ocean waves.

4. How do researchers currently approach the dimensions problem in piezoelectric energy harvesting?

Researchers are exploring various strategies to address the dimensions problem, such as using different types of piezoelectric materials, optimizing the mechanical design of the harvesting system, and combining multiple small-scale harvesters into a larger system. Additionally, advancements in nanotechnology are allowing for the development of smaller and more efficient piezoelectric materials.

5. What are some potential future developments in piezoelectric energy harvesting?

Some potential future developments in piezoelectric energy harvesting include the use of flexible and biocompatible materials, as well as the integration of piezoelectric systems into everyday objects such as clothing and furniture. There is also ongoing research into the use of piezoelectric materials in larger-scale applications, such as in vehicles and buildings.