The cost of generating electricity

In summary, the conversation discusses a comparison of the costs to generate electricity from different sources, including transmission costs. The data from the US Department of Energy shows that solar thermal is the most expensive at $312 per megawatt hour, followed by offshore wind at $243 and solar PV at $211. Gas is the cheapest at $66 to $125. The surprising finding is that advanced nuclear is competitive at $114. The conversation also touches on the heavy subsidies required for solar and questions if there are subsidies available for offshore power. The cost of hydro, with one person mentioning their experience in the 1960's where it was at $2 per megawatt hour, is also discussed.
Naty1
I stumbled across what I thought an interesting comparison of the costs to generate electricity from the US Department of energy...includes transmission costs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_cost_of_electricity_generated_by_different_sources

Its shows the total cost per megawatt hour: the highest cost sources:

"solar thermal" $312 what this is ?? heat or equivalent electricity?
wind offshore: $243
solar PV $211 solar photovoltaic cells

while gas seems to offer the lowest cost at from $66 to $125.

I am surprised that "advanced nuclear" at $114 is so competitive.

It sure points out the heavy subsidies (taxpayer money) required for solar.

Are subsidies available for offshore power?? Seems tough for it to compete otherwise!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I thought coal was supposed to be the cheapest.
What about the cost of hydro?

"""solar thermal" $312 what this is ?? heat or equivalent electricity?""

that should be the cost of the electricity made by focusing sun to boil water.
http://www.fpl.com/environment/solar/projects.shtml?id=alias

hydro - my only experience is secondhand.
in 1960's my father-in-law's plant in Niagara Falls bought hydro for 2 mils/kwh,
or $2 per megawatt hour. seems incredible, today.

old jim

Hydro is included in the DOE chart...
I just posted a couple of high and low cost categories.

1. What factors contribute to the cost of generating electricity?

The cost of generating electricity can be affected by several factors, including the type of fuel used, the technology and infrastructure needed to produce and distribute electricity, and government policies and regulations.

2. How do renewable energy sources compare to traditional sources in terms of cost?

While renewable energy sources may have higher initial costs, they often have lower operational and maintenance costs compared to traditional sources. Additionally, the cost of renewable energy technologies has been decreasing in recent years, making them more cost-competitive.

3. How does location impact the cost of generating electricity?

Location can have a significant impact on the cost of generating electricity. Areas with abundant natural resources, such as sunlight or wind, may have lower costs for renewable energy generation. Additionally, remote locations may have higher costs due to the need for infrastructure and transmission systems.

4. How do fluctuations in fuel prices affect the cost of generating electricity?

Fuel prices can have a major impact on the cost of generating electricity. For example, if the cost of natural gas, which is a common fuel for power plants, increases, the cost of electricity production may also increase. This can also be true for renewable energy sources that rely on specific fuels, such as biofuels.

5. What role do government policies play in the cost of generating electricity?

Government policies and regulations can have a significant impact on the cost of generating electricity. For example, subsidies and tax incentives for renewable energy sources can help lower their overall cost, while regulations on emissions and pollution can increase the cost of traditional sources. Government policies can also influence the development and adoption of new technologies, which can affect the cost of electricity generation.