What is the simplest philosophy for achieving success?

• Thread starter ThomasJoe40
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Philosophy
In summary, your philosophy is that achieving success requires paying a price for it, and the definition of success becomes important in order to determine if the price is worth it.
ThomasJoe40
What I have concluded for the philosophy of success is a very simple one. So I would also like to call that "the simplest philosophy leads to the most successful consequence"... Anyway, this philosophy is "Your true believes are always expressed and only expressed in your actions"

There have two purposes that I post this philosophy here, one is that I want to know that if there have any opposite believes against this one... Another is because the my personal belief is "Find your ultimate belief first, then take actions" I think mine shouldn't be that useful...

Physics news on Phys.org
Is English your native language? Your bio says you lived in Beijing. Do you speak Mandarin or Cantonese? How do you say "hello"? Hââ-pô, Néih hóu, Neilhou, Lay ho, Ho yat, Ngh on, Jou san, Nî hâo, Nín hâo, Nîmen hâo?

Is your philosophy about a specific type of belief? Like ethical (good and bad, right and wrong), epistemological (knowledge, true and false), etc.?

honestrosewater said:
Is English your native language? Your bio says you lived in Beijing. Do you speak Mandarin or Cantonese? How do you say "hello"? Hââ-pô, Néih hóu, Neilhou, Lay ho, Ho yat, Ngh on, Jou san, Nî hâo, Nín hâo, Nîmen hâo?

Is your philosophy about a specific type of belief? Like ethical (good and bad, right and wrong), epistemological (knowledge, true and false), etc.?

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that I am not a native English speaker... I am a Beijinger actually, so, basically, I cannot speak any Cantonese...

Your Chinese is good, the one I use is Ni Hao... I rarely use Nin Hao because I don't usually encounter formal situation...

Well, I don't think my philosophy belongs to any specific type you have mentioned above... it is just a philosophy about oneself, the philosophy that can make one live in peace forever...

BTW, Ni Men Hao means "Hello, Everybody..." or sth like that, which I have never used before, haha~ :rofl:

ThomasJoe40 said:
Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that I am not a native English speaker... I am a Beijinger actually, so, basically, I cannot speak any Cantonese...

Your Chinese is good, the one I use is Ni Hao... I rarely use Nin Hao because I don't usually encounter formal situation...
It's no a big deal, I just wanted to say hello. Nî hâo.
I haven't memorized all of those phrases, I looked them up :biggrin:

Well, I don't think my philosophy belongs to any specific type you have mentioned above... it is just a philosophy about oneself, the philosophy that can make one live in peace forever...

Is it like Socrates' (and Plato's) idea that knowledge is virtue? That if a person knows what is virtuous, they will act virtuously? If so, you can read Aristotle's denial involving the weakness of will: That someone may know what is virtuous, yet not have a strong enough will to act virtuously.

You may be saying something else, but I can't tell from only one sentence. Can you explain more?

ThomasJoe40 said:
What I have concluded for the philosophy of success is a very simple one.

What is success?

Ivan Seeking said:
What is success?

Well, to me it might just be a very simple one, that is to actually achieve something that one has dreamed of...

Is that too simple??~ :uhh:

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
It's no a big deal, I just wanted to say hello. Nî hâo.
I haven't memorized all of those phrases, I looked them up :biggrin:

Anyway, your Chinese is pretty good. I actually thought you might be a Chinese, esp Cantonese, hehe. Anyway, now I think you might have a close relationship with some Chineses?? Anyway, nevermind, just a stupid guessing I think~

honestrosewater said:
Is it like Socrates' (and Plato's) idea that knowledge is virtue? That if a person knows what is virtuous, they will act virtuously? If so, you can read Aristotle's denial involving the weakness of will: That someone may know what is virtuous, yet not have a strong enough will to act virtuously.

You may be saying something else, but I can't tell from only one sentence. Can you explain more?

Wow, I got to say that I love those ideas. To be honest, I have never heard of any of those philosophies before. I will definitely look them up in the library.
So, it seems you MIGHT BE a philosophy student... :smile:

Finally, just let me repeat that, knowledge is virtue, definitely!

Last edited:
Knowledge is also power.

ThomasJoe40 said:
Well, to me it might just be a very simple one, that is to actually achieve something that one has dreamed of...

Is that too simple??~ :uhh:

Maybe not too simple but surely limited in scope.

The point is that success always comes with a price. The price can outweigh the benefits of success, so the defintion of success becomes rather important IMO.

ThomasJoe40 said:
Anyway, now I think you might have a close relationship with some Chineses?? ...So, it seems you MIGHT BE a philosophy student... :smile:
I am a student of everything- though certainly not a master of everything. :biggrin:

Wow, I got to say that I love those ideas. To be honest, I have never heard of any of those philosophies before. I will definitely look them up in the library.

Plato was a student of Socrates, and Aristotle was a student of Plato. They were all philosophers in Ancient Greece. No written works by Socrates have survived. (I'm not sure he actually wrote anything for posterity.) We know about Socrates' ideas because Plato wrote about them.
Some of the works you may be interested in reading are Plato's "Meno" and "Apology" and Aristotle's "Nicomachean Ethics". You can search Google (www.google.com/) to find them. I know many English translations are available (for free) online, but I'm not sure about translations in other languages.

If you prefer to read in Mandarin, Google has many language tools which you can find by clicking "Preferences" and "Langauge Tools". For instance, you can search only for pages written in Mandarin. There is also a "translate this page" tool, but the translations aren't great since they aren't done by humans.

In addition to reading these works, you should also read what others have written about them. I hope you have fun :)

Ivan Seeking said:

Keeping in mind the pitfalls of casual generalizations... I have noticed Eastern, Ancient Greek, and French languages often tend towards a simplicity which seems rather cryptic to me. They seem to be able to convey in a few words the equivalent of several sentences in English.

"Your true believes are always expressed and only expressed in your actions"

can different believes (or intentions) lead to identical actions ?

Sho'Nuff said:
can different believes (or intentions) lead to identical actions ?
That depends on what you include in a belief. Adam and Bob may both believe that they shouldn't lie. Adam may believe he shouldn't lie because lying is wrong in principle. Bob may believe he shouldn't lie because he might get caught and be punished, and he doesn't want to be punished. They both end up believing the same thing (you shouldn't lie) but for different reasons.

Additionally, Adam may not act as he believes he should act. This could result from many things, for instance, a lack of willpower. If you exclude the reasons, identical beliefs could also result in different actions.

Another circumstance includes Charlie. Charlie believes that he should lie. If Adam doesn't act as he believes he should, Adam and Charlie could end up acting identically though they have different beliefs.

____
Of course, ThomasJoe seems to be saying the last two circumstances can't happen.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:

The point is that success always comes with a price. The price can outweigh the benefits of success, so the defintion of success becomes rather important IMO.

:bugeye: ... Oh, Thanks ... it widened my scope, even thought this fact does not sounds very nice...

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
Plato was a student of Socrates, and Aristotle was a student of Plato. They were all philosophers in Ancient Greece. No written works by Socrates have survived. (I'm not sure he actually wrote anything for posterity.) We know about Socrates' ideas because Plato wrote about them.

Cheers... to me, those indroductions are brilliant... before I only knew Aristotle because physics is my only speciality...

honestrosewater said:
Some of the works you may be interested in reading are Plato's "Meno" and "Apology" and Aristotle's "Nicomachean Ethics". You can search Google (www.google.com/) to find them. I know many English translations are available (for free) online, but I'm not sure about translations in other languages.

Thank you! I appreciated a lot for those recommendations... these are what I am looking for actually...

honestrosewater said:
If you prefer to read in Mandarin, Google has many language tools which you can find by clicking "Preferences" and "Langauge Tools". For instance, you can search only for pages written in Mandarin. There is also a "translate this page" tool, but the translations aren't great since they aren't done by humans.

In addition to reading these works, you should also read what others have written about them. I hope you have fun :)

Thanks a lot again, for those detailed instructions... actually, I have already used a lot of those Chinese search engines. I guess I will prefer to read in English.

Thank you overall, finally~

honestrosewater said:
Keeping in mind the pitfalls of casual generalizations... I have noticed Eastern, Ancient Greek, and French languages often tend towards a simplicity which seems rather cryptic to me. They seem to be able to convey in a few words the equivalent of several sentences in English.

I guess you are talking about linguistics here, not philosophy... am I right? :tongue2:

Last edited:
ThomasJoe40 said:
I guess you are talking about linguistics here, not philosophy... am I right? :tongue2:
Right. And you're very welcome. :smile:

1. What is the philosophy of success?

The philosophy of success is a set of beliefs and principles that guide individuals in achieving their goals and realizing their full potential. It involves understanding and defining what success means to you, setting clear and achievable goals, and developing a mindset and habits that support your journey towards success.

2. Can success be measured?

Success can be measured in different ways, depending on an individual's definition of success. Some may measure success based on financial wealth, while others may focus on personal fulfillment, relationships, or impact on society. It is important to define your own metrics of success and regularly assess your progress towards achieving them.

3. Is success a result of luck or hard work?

Success is often a combination of both luck and hard work. While external factors such as opportunities and circumstances can play a role in one's success, it is ultimately the consistent effort and determination that leads to achieving goals and reaching success. Luck may open doors, but hard work is what keeps them open.

4. How can one maintain success?

Maintaining success requires continuous effort and adaptation. It involves regularly reassessing goals, making necessary adjustments, and developing new skills and strategies to stay ahead. It also involves being open to learning and embracing change, as the definition of success can evolve over time.

5. Can anyone achieve success?

Yes, anyone can achieve success with the right mindset, determination, and effort. Success may look different for each individual, but with a clear understanding of one's goals and a commitment to consistently work towards them, anyone can reach their version of success.