Help determining type of dicrete signal: power or energy signal

In summary, I provided an explanation of how to calculate energy and power for two discrete signals. For the first problem, an equation for power was given and for the second problem, it was explained why the power would be zero. I also offered to answer any further questions for a better understanding.
oujea

Homework Statement

Firstly, I'm sorry for my bad English - I'm from Bosnia and Herzegovina.
I need help in determining type of two discrete signals. Here are problems:

1)
296kv1f.png

2)
2vumpfp.png

I have tried, and I posted below where I stopped and what's confusing me.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1)
I got energy 9/8, using following equation:
1zqx9px.png

But when I'm trying to calculate power, I'm confused and I don't know how to solve it because then I have sum going from 0 to N (not to infinity). Can you please help me with this and explain how it goes.

2)
I got inifinity energy because I have sum from 0 to infinity of 1/n, and when n=0, 1/0 is infinity, and that's it. Am I right?

But again I have problems with finding power. I got this, and I have no idea what now:
epm2co.png

I'm asking you for instructions, not solving problems and results - that woulnd't help me if I don't understand how to solve it and how did you get the result.

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out for help with your signal analysis problems. I am happy to assist you in understanding the types of discrete signals you are working with.

For the first problem, it seems like you have correctly calculated the energy of the signal using the given equation. However, for calculating the power, you will need to use a different equation. Power is the average energy per unit time, so you will need to divide the energy by the time period of the signal. Since the signal has a finite number of samples (N), the time period can be calculated by multiplying the sample rate (fs) by N. So the equation for power would be P = (1/N) * (sum from 0 to N of |x[n]|^2). I hope this helps in solving the first problem.

For the second problem, you are correct in saying that the energy of the signal is infinite due to the infinite sum. However, for power, you will need to use a different equation again. Power is the average energy per unit time, so you will need to divide the energy by the time period of the signal. In this case, the time period would be infinite, so the power would be zero. This is because the signal is not concentrated in any specific time interval, and thus the average energy per unit time is zero.

I hope this helps in understanding the concepts of energy and power in discrete signals. If you have any further questions, please let me know and I will be happy to assist you. Best of luck with your analysis!

What is a discrete signal?

A discrete signal is a type of signal that is represented by a sequence of discrete values. It is a set of data points that are sampled at specific time intervals, as opposed to a continuous signal, which has an infinite number of values.

What is the difference between a power signal and an energy signal?

A power signal is a type of discrete signal where the energy is distributed over time, meaning that the signal has a finite power value. An energy signal, on the other hand, has a finite amount of total energy over a specific time period, but the power value may be infinite at certain points in time.

How do you determine if a discrete signal is a power or energy signal?

To determine if a discrete signal is a power or energy signal, you can calculate the total energy of the signal by taking the integral of the squared signal values over time. If the integral is finite, then the signal is an energy signal. If the integral is infinite, then the signal is a power signal.

What are some examples of power signals?

Examples of power signals include audio signals, which have a finite power value over time, and periodic signals, which have a finite average power value. Other examples include electric signals in a circuit and signals in communication systems.

What are some examples of energy signals?

Examples of energy signals include impulse signals, which have a finite energy value but infinite power value at the point of the impulse, and finite duration signals, which have a finite energy value over a specific time period. Other examples include signals in mechanical systems and thermal signals in a heating or cooling system.