Do water filters remove fluoride?

In summary: So if you're really concerned about it, you could filter your water using one of those.In summary, filters such as those by Brita (which I assume are simply activated carbon), do not remove fluoride. This is because they contain two active substances, one which is effective at removing calcium and magnesium carbonates and the other which is effective at removing organic impurities - these are relatively large organic molecules.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I noticed on the news a thing on tooth care and one thing they said was that drinking tap water is better than bottled water because of the fluoride in the tap water. That made me realize that a good portion of the water I drink is filtered using one of those Brita filters! So do filters, such as those by Brita (which I assume are simply activated carbon), remove fluoride? And is it true that I'm not getting fluoride when drinking bottled waters?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I can be wrong, but I doubt. These filters contain two active substances. One is some kind of ion exchange resin which removes calcium and magnesium carbonates to soften the water, other is activated carbon that removes organic impurities - these are relatively large organic molecules. Neither of these active substances should be effective when it comes to removing fluoride, so I would expect most of it to come through.

One reason that tap water is healthier to drink is that it contains the carbonates.Is that correct?

Never heard about it.

Doesn't mean much.

From Brita's website...

BRITA products have no effect on the fluoride content of water.

chemisttree said:
From Brita's website...

*facepalm*

I'm one of those people who can't just google something apparently :(

LOL! I thought the funny thing was the inference that all bottled water didn't have fluoride and that tapwater did. There are still tapwater sources without added fluoride. Most bottled water is just purified tap water so most bottled water should have as much fluoride as it's tapwater source.

No! Not the fluoride controversy again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcHNYenN7OY

hmmm... That's weird. I just discovered we don't fluoridate our water here. I don't have to worry about it. (I've been carbon filtering my tap water for 20 years now).

I'll just keep brushing my teeth with fluoride toothpaste, as always. o:)

On the other hand, under-the-sink reverse osmosis units do remove fluoride.

1. How effective are water filters in removing fluoride?

Water filters can vary in their effectiveness in removing fluoride. Some types of filters, such as reverse osmosis filters, can remove up to 95% of fluoride from water. However, other types of filters, such as activated carbon filters, may only remove a small percentage of fluoride.

2. Do all water filters remove fluoride?

No, not all water filters are designed to remove fluoride. Some filters, such as basic pitcher filters, may not be effective in removing fluoride. It is important to check the specifications of a water filter to see if it is capable of removing fluoride.

3. Can boiling water remove fluoride?

No, boiling water does not remove fluoride. In fact, boiling water can actually increase the concentration of fluoride in the water, as the water evaporates and the fluoride becomes more concentrated.

4. Are there any health risks associated with drinking fluoride?

The consumption of fluoride in small amounts is generally considered safe and can even be beneficial for dental health. However, excessive consumption of fluoride can lead to dental fluorosis, a condition that causes discoloration and damage to tooth enamel. There have also been concerns about the potential effects of long-term exposure to fluoride on other aspects of health, but more research is needed to fully understand these potential risks.

5. How can I know if my water contains fluoride?

You can check with your local water supplier to see if they add fluoride to the water supply. You can also purchase a water testing kit to test the fluoride levels in your water. If you have a private well, you can have your water tested by a certified laboratory to determine the fluoride levels.