Schmidt factor and slipping systems

In summary, the crystal will rotate towards the [-225] direction but will never quite reach the <112> type direction due to the incompatibility of the slip systems.
Chemist20
correct me if I'm wrong please:

Initial slip system is [011] (-1-11)
If I have a tensile axis orientated in [-214], as slipping proceeds it will rotate towards the following direction:

[-214] + n[011] = [-225] it will rotate towards the [-225] direction.

once it gets there, there will now be two slip systems available. [-101](111) and [011](-1-11).

now.. my question is... my book it says that the [-225] will rotate towards the <112> type direction but will never quite get there. for deformation along the <112> type direction the rotations induced by the two slip systems exactly cancel

my question is: WHYYYYYYY?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The reason why the [-225] direction will never quite get to the <112> type direction is because of the geometry of the crystal lattice. The <112> type direction is not compatible with the slip systems [-101](111) and [011](-1-11), meaning that the rotations induced by these two slip systems will cancel each other out and the crystal will not be able to deform in the <112> type direction.

1. What is the Schmidt factor and how is it related to slipping systems?

The Schmidt factor, also known as the Schmid factor, is a measure of the ease with which a particular crystal lattice plane can undergo plastic deformation. It is related to slipping systems because it is used to determine the critical resolved shear stress (CRSS) for a given plane and direction, which is necessary for the initiation of slip in a material.

2. How is the Schmidt factor calculated?

The Schmidt factor is calculated by taking the cosine of the angle between the slip direction and the normal to the slip plane. This value is then multiplied by the cosine of the angle between the shear stress and the slip direction. The result is the Schmidt factor for that particular plane and direction.

3. What is the significance of the Schmidt factor in materials science?

The Schmidt factor is a crucial parameter in materials science as it helps determine the ease with which a material can undergo plastic deformation. It is used to predict the dominant slip systems in a material and to design materials with desired mechanical properties.

4. How does the Schmidt factor affect the mechanical properties of a material?

The Schmidt factor has a direct impact on the mechanical properties of a material. A higher Schmidt factor indicates that the material is more prone to plastic deformation, leading to lower strength and higher ductility. On the other hand, a lower Schmidt factor indicates a material that is more resistant to plastic deformation, resulting in higher strength and lower ductility.

5. Can the Schmidt factor be altered in a material?

Yes, the Schmidt factor can be altered in a material by changing its crystal structure or texture. For instance, introducing impurities or alloying elements can alter the crystal structure, which can affect the slip systems and the Schmidt factor. Additionally, mechanical processing such as cold rolling or hot working can also change the texture and, therefore, the Schmidt factor of a material.