Pattern recognition and machine learning problem 2.7

In summary, the conversation discusses using a guide for pattern recognition and machine learning and proving a binomial random variable has a posterior mean value between the prior mean and maximum likelihood estimate for the given distribution. A hint is given to solve a mathematical equation involving observed values, prior beliefs, and a distribution. The question is raised about the legality of solving this equation instead of the original one.
karse
I'm working my way through pattern recognition and machine learning using this http://www.cs.pitt.edu/~milos/courses/cs2750/ as a guide.

Homework Statement

We have to prove that a binomial random variable x, with a prior distribution for [itex]\mu[/itex] given by a beta distribution, has a posterior mean value that is x that lies between the pror mean and the maximum likelihood estimate for [itex]\mu[/itex].

[itex]\underbrace{\frac{a}{a+b}}_{prior-mean}<\underbrace{\frac{m+a}{m+a+l+b}}_{posterior-mean}< \underbrace{\frac{m}{m+l}}_{ml-estimate-of-\mu} (eq. 1)[/itex]

where a hint in the book state that it is equal to solving:

[itex]
\frac{m+a}{m+a+l+b}= \lambda\cdot \frac{a}{a+b}+(1-\lambda)\cdot\frac{m}{m+l}, 0<=\lambda<=1 \text{ (eq. 2)}
[/itex]

m and l is the numer of observed values where x=1 and x=0 respectively. a and b specifies our prior belief via the beta distribution.

My question is about the hint. how do i get from eq. 1 to eq. 2.? Is it always "legal" to solve eq. 2 instead of eq. 1??(i'm not looking for a solution to the original problem :) )

Physics news on Phys.org
karse said:
I'm working my way through pattern recognition and machine learning using this http://www.cs.pitt.edu/~milos/courses/cs2750/ as a guide.

Homework Statement

We have to prove that a binomial random variable x, with a prior distribution for [itex]\mu[/itex] given by a beta distribution, has a posterior mean value that is x that lies between the pror mean and the maximum likelihood estimate for [itex]\mu[/itex].

[itex]\underbrace{\frac{a}{a+b}}_{prior-mean}<\underbrace{\frac{m+a}{m+a+l+b}}_{posterior-mean}< \underbrace{\frac{m}{m+l}}_{ml-estimate-of-\mu} (eq. 1)[/itex]

where a hint in the book state that it is equal to solving:

[itex]
\frac{m+a}{m+a+l+b}= \lambda\cdot \frac{a}{a+b}+(1-\lambda)\cdot\frac{m}{m+l}, 0<=\lambda<=1 \text{ (eq. 2)}
[/itex]

m and l is the numer of observed values where x=1 and x=0 respectively. a and b specifies our prior belief via the beta distribution.

My question is about the hint. how do i get from eq. 1 to eq. 2.? Is it always "legal" to solve eq. 2 instead of eq. 1??

(i'm not looking for a solution to the original problem :) )

Look at ##\lambda## = 0 and ##\lambda## = 1.

Thanks ;)

1. What is pattern recognition and machine learning?

Pattern recognition and machine learning is a field of study that focuses on developing algorithms and models that can automatically recognize patterns and make predictions based on data. It combines elements of computer science, statistics, and artificial intelligence to create systems that can learn from data and improve their performance over time.

2. What is problem 2.7 in pattern recognition and machine learning?

Problem 2.7 refers to a specific problem or scenario within the broader field of pattern recognition and machine learning. It could refer to a particular dataset, algorithm, or research question that is being explored and studied by researchers and practitioners.

3. Why is pattern recognition and machine learning important?

Pattern recognition and machine learning have a wide range of applications in various industries, including finance, healthcare, and technology. These techniques can help organizations make better decisions, improve efficiency, and identify patterns and insights that may not be apparent to humans. They also have the potential to drive innovation and advance scientific research.

4. What are some common techniques used in pattern recognition and machine learning?

Some common techniques used in pattern recognition and machine learning include neural networks, decision trees, support vector machines, and k-nearest neighbors. These techniques involve training models on labeled data and using them to make predictions on new, unseen data.

5. How can I get started with learning about pattern recognition and machine learning?

There are many online resources and courses available for those interested in learning about pattern recognition and machine learning. Some popular platforms include Coursera, Udemy, and edX. It's also helpful to have a strong understanding of programming and mathematics, as these are foundational skills for this field.