Doppler effect in matter waves

In summary, when measuring a Doppler shift in matter waves (e.g. electron waves in an electronic microscope) with a given wavelength λ while moving towards them with a velocity v, the shift is given by a formula involving the electron wave's velocity v_e. The phase and group velocities can be different and the resulting formula may look different, but for velocities much smaller than v_e, the difference is negligible. For sound waves, the wavelength is measured relative to the medium and the frequency is calculated using the invariant wavelength and velocity addition with the phase velocity. For electromagnetic waves, the product of the phase and group velocities equals c*c in vacuum, but in matter, it can be smaller.
teros
If I have a matter wave (for example, electron waves in a electronic microscope) at a given wavelength λ, and I move with respect (towards) them at speed [itex]v[/itex], I will measure a Doppler shift in the wave given by:

[itex]\frac{1}{{\lambda '}} = \frac{1}{{\lambda '}}\left( {1 + \frac{v}{{v_e }}} \right)[/itex]

where [itex]v_e[/itex] is the velocity of the electron wave. But the phase velocity? or the group velocity?

I know that [itex]v_{ph} v_{gr} = c^2[/itex], so the result can be very different.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can calculate the relative velocity of the particle (with the group velocity and your own velocity), and work back to the wavelength and phase velocity afterwards.
The formula might look different - it is not a classical wave.

But for [itex]v<<<v_e[/itex] it cannot be much different...

Ok, let us suppose that, instead of matter waves, I speak of sound in a medium where phase and group velocities are different. Which one will go in the Doppler formula?

For sound, I would measure the wavelength relative to the medium, independent of the observer. To calculate the frequency, I would use that invariant wavelength and velocity addition with the phase velocity.

The product equals c*c for electromagnetic waves.

Enthalpy said:
The product equals c*c for electromagnetic waves.
In vacuum. In matter, both phase and group velocity can be below c, for example, therefore the product has to be smaller, too.

1. What is the Doppler effect in matter waves?

The Doppler effect in matter waves is a phenomenon that occurs when there is a change in the frequency of a matter wave due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer.

2. How does the Doppler effect in matter waves differ from the Doppler effect in sound waves?

While the Doppler effect in sound waves is caused by the motion of the source or observer, the Doppler effect in matter waves is caused by the motion of the particles that make up the wave. Additionally, the Doppler effect in matter waves can occur even in the absence of a medium, unlike the Doppler effect in sound waves which requires a medium to travel through.

3. What are some real-life applications of the Doppler effect in matter waves?

The Doppler effect in matter waves has been observed in various fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and medical imaging. It is used to study the motion and behavior of particles in different environments, and has also been used in experiments to test the theory of relativity.

4. Can the Doppler effect in matter waves be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Doppler effect in matter waves can be observed in everyday life. For example, if you shine a laser pointer at a surface and move it towards or away from the surface, the frequency of the matter waves (photons) will change due to the relative motion, causing a shift in the color of the laser dot.

5. How can the Doppler effect in matter waves be calculated?

The formula for calculating the Doppler effect in matter waves is similar to the formula for calculating the Doppler effect in sound waves, but it takes into account the relativistic effects of the particles' motion. The formula is: f' = f * (c ± v) / (c ± vs) where f is the original frequency, f' is the observed frequency, c is the speed of light, v is the relative velocity between the source and observer, and vs is the speed of the particles in the wave.