Steady State Error Calculation to Input Step and Ramp Input

In summary, the steady-state error in a system depends on the input and output and is affected by the transfer function and feedback configuration. In the case of a step input, the steady-state error will always be zero due to the unstable nature of the transfer function. However, for a ramp input, the steady-state error will be unbounded. This is expected for a type 0 system without any free integrators.
spggodd
Hi all,

I am getting confused about how to calculate steady state error in a system.

My particular transfer function is:

G(s)= 4.992/(s^2+3s-1)

Firstly, with an input step am I right in saying that the Steady State error will always be zero?
If so can someone explain the reason behind this, is it because it has negative real parts?

Also, what happens when I apply a ramp input?
An example would be great if possible.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Engineering news on Phys.org
Since G(s) is unstable in open loop (it has poles in the right half-plane), I'm going to assume we're talking about using it in a feedback configuration.

Let the system error, e(t), be given as:
e(t) = r(t) - c(t)

where r(t) and c(t) are the system input and output, respectively.

For a unity feedback system, the Laplace transform of e(t), E(s), is then given as:
[tex]
E(s) = \frac{1}{1 + G(s)} R(s)
[/tex]

The system steady-state error, e_ss, is then given by the final value theorem as:
[tex]
e_{ss} = \lim_{s \rightarrow 0} s \frac{1}{1 + G(s)} R(s)
[/tex]

For a step input, R(s) = 1/s, we have:
[tex]
e_{ss} = \lim_{s \rightarrow 0} s \frac{1}{1 + \frac{4.992}{s^2 + 3s - 1}} \frac{1}{s} = \frac{1}{1 - 4.992} \approx -0.2505
[/tex]

For a ramp input, R(s) = 1/s^2, we have:
[tex]
e_{ss} = \lim_{s \rightarrow 0} s \frac{1}{1 + \frac{4.992}{s^2 + 3s - 1}} \frac{1}{s^2} = \lim_{s \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{s + \frac{4.992s}{s^2 + 3s - 1}} = \infty
[/tex]

The steady-state error for a step input will thus be a constant and for a ramp input it will be unbounded. This is what you would expect for a type 0 system (no free integrators), if that makes sense to you.

1. What is steady state error?

Steady state error is the difference between the desired output and the actual output of a control system after the system has reached a stable state.

2. How is steady state error calculated for input step?

The steady state error for input step can be calculated by taking the difference between the desired value and the final value of the output, divided by the desired value.

3. How is steady state error calculated for ramp input?

The steady state error for ramp input can be calculated by taking the difference between the desired value and the final value of the output, divided by the slope of the ramp input.

4. What factors can affect steady state error?

Steady state error can be affected by factors such as system gain, system type, and the presence of disturbances or noise in the system.

5. How can steady state error be minimized?

To minimize steady state error, the system's gain can be adjusted, a controller can be added to the system, or a feedback loop can be implemented to reduce the effects of disturbances.