Nuclear Reactions, Can anyone check my solution?

In summary, the nuclear power station reactor using 235 U as fuel with an output of 107 W and 10% efficiency consumes approximately 4.54 g of uranium per hour.
maceng7

Homework Statement

A nuclear power station reactor using 235 U (Uranium) as fuel has an output of 107 W. How much uranium is consumed per hour if the overall efficiency is 10%. The 235 U decays by the following reaction:

n + 235 U → 144 Nd + 89 Y + (3)(n) + (7)(e-)

Homework Equations

P = E / time
E = mc2

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out by finding the change in mass in the reactants and products:
mass of reactants = 236.05258 amu
mass of products = 235.845131 amu
Δ mass = 0.207449 amu

I then used E = mc2 to find the energy released from one uranium nuclei:
E = (0.207449amu)(1.66054 x 10^-27 kg)(2.9979 x 10^8 m/s)^2
E = 3.096 x 10^-11 J/atom

I then found the efficiency of the reactor:
efficiency = output/input x 100%
0.10 = output / input
input = 10^8 Joules

P = E/t
E = (10^8 W)(3600s)
E = 3.60 x 10^11 J

I now know how much energy is inputed into the generator each hour and I know how much energy is released per atom of Uranium. I can find the total number of atoms that undergo this reaction in one hour:

3.60 x 10^11 J / 3.096 x 10^-11 J/atom = 1.16x10^22 atoms

I used avogadro's number to find the number of moles

(1.16x10^22 atoms) * (1 mol / 6.022x10^23 atoms) = 0.0193 moles

I use n = m / M to find the mass in grams:

0.0193 mol * 235.043915 amu = 4.54g

It would be great if anyone could check my steps in my solution. The answer is 4.54 g but I just want to make sure my process is correct and maybe if there is another way to get to the same answer. Thanks, I appreciate it!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would directly divide the released energy per reaction by the mass of an uranium atom to get J/kg, but your method is fine, too.

What is a nuclear reaction?

A nuclear reaction is a process in which the nucleus of an atom undergoes a change, resulting in the formation of a new element or isotope.

What are the different types of nuclear reactions?

There are two types of nuclear reactions: fission and fusion. Fission is the splitting of a heavy nucleus into smaller nuclei, while fusion is the combining of two or more lighter nuclei to form a heavier nucleus.

What are the applications of nuclear reactions?

Nuclear reactions have many applications, including electricity generation in nuclear power plants, medical treatments such as radiation therapy, and the production of radioactive isotopes for industrial and research purposes.

How do scientists control and harness nuclear reactions?

Nuclear reactions can be controlled and harnessed by using materials such as control rods, which absorb neutrons and regulate the rate of the reaction. This allows for the safe and efficient use of nuclear energy.

What safety precautions are in place for nuclear reactions?

There are strict safety protocols and regulations in place for handling and storing nuclear materials and operating nuclear facilities. These measures ensure the safe use of nuclear reactions and protect both humans and the environment from potential harm.