Absorption of Gamma Radiation

In summary, one is performing gamma spectroscopy and the x-axis is the thickness of the absorber, while the y-axis is the number of channels that detect gamma radiation. The peaks represent the different energy levels of gamma radiation, and the significances of each are unknown.
M. next
After performing this experiment, we will get different peaks on the computer screen, where on x-axis lies thickness of the absorber and on the y-axis the nb of channels. What do these represent exactly? Why do we have a high peak and a medium sized one?
What are the significances of each?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
M. next said:
After performing this experiment, we will get different peaks on the computer screen, where on x-axis lies thickness of the absorber and on the y-axis the nb of channels. What do these represent exactly? Why do we have a high peak and a medium sized one?

Thanks.

Don't you think that it will be significantly clearer if you describe in detail the experiment (i.e. what material were you looking at), and actually show the graph of the data you are referring to?

Zz.

I didn't because I thought it is a known experiment.
So here's the graph, see attachment please.
And this is experiment aims as its title says absorption of gamma radiation by some absorber (lead for example) in order to measure its attenuation.
What we're changing through the experiment is the thickness of the absorber.

What I don't get is the peaks? Why do we have different peaks?

Attachments

• 2013-05-14 17.21.36.jpg
    2013-05-14 17.21.36.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 583
What is your gamma source (which isotope)?

What kind of detector are you using? I'm guessing a sodium-iodide scintillator, because it's cheap and easy to use in an undergraduate lab.

For all isotopes, similar graphs occur with different peaks. Am just asking why do different peaks appear? Am asking a theoretical question.

You were asked nicely - twice - to describe what you are doing. Making us guess is neither efficient nor polite.

I was referring to the particular picture that you attached.

Thank you jtbell.

So I guessed correctly, then? :wink:

Thank you but my question was not related to what of scintillator to be used. I was asking about the meaning of the peaks. What do they represent in general. That's why I said I was asking theoretical question and materials used didn't have to do with answer I thought. But thank you for your reply, jtbell.

Since you refuse to provide necessary details, this thread is closed.

M. next said:

Thanks.
It appears one is performing gamma spectroscopy. I doubt the x-axis is absorber thickness, but rather is related to the energy of the gamma. The y-axis should be the counts (gammas detected) in the corresponding channel (gamma energy bin) on the x-axis. So already, it seems one is misinterpreting the data presented.

The type of detector (NaI, GeLi or other) affects the resolution of the peaks.

When one mentions absorber, it is not clear if one is referring to the detector material, or some attenuator.

Some gamma emitters, e.g., Co-60, have two gamma peaks. The spectum in one's attachment appears to that of Co-60. Other radionuclides, e.g., Cs-137, emit one predominant gamma ray.

The detector will also respond to lower energy gammas from internal conversion, Compton effect, and pair production.

Last edited:
M. next said:
I didn't [give details] because I thought it is a known experiment.

It is dangerous to do this, because people may guess the missing details incorrectly. This causes people to give answers which may not be appropriate for your situation, wasting both your time and theirs.

We have seen it happen many times, that someone makes an incorrect guess about the questioner's situation, and then the questioner has to say "no, this is what it really was..." So we're not simply nit-picking.

Last edited:

1. What is gamma radiation and how is it different from other types of radiation?

Gamma radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation with very high energy and short wavelengths. It is different from other types of radiation such as alpha and beta radiation because it does not consist of particles, but rather high-energy photons.

2. What are the factors that affect the absorption of gamma radiation?

The absorption of gamma radiation is affected by several factors, including the material it passes through, the energy of the radiation, and the thickness of the material. The atomic number and density of the material also play a role in absorption.

3. How does the absorption of gamma radiation impact the human body?

When gamma radiation interacts with living tissue, it can cause damage to cells and DNA. This can lead to negative health effects, such as radiation sickness or an increased risk of cancer. However, the level of impact depends on the amount and duration of exposure.

4. How can the absorption of gamma radiation be measured?

The absorption of gamma radiation can be measured using a device called a Geiger counter, which detects the number of radioactive particles that pass through it. Other methods of measurement include using film badges, thermoluminescent dosimeters, or electronic personal dosimeters.

5. What are some practical applications of gamma radiation absorption?

Gamma radiation absorption has several practical applications, including medical imaging and cancer treatment. It is also used in industrial processes, such as sterilization and food preservation. Additionally, the absorption of gamma radiation is used in nuclear power plants to generate electricity.