I want to calculate the delta V

In summary, the relevant equations for calculating delta V in a 1-d gravitational field are the Tsiolkovsky equation and the equation for calculating escape velocity. To calculate the delta v needed to move objects from one distance to another, the difference in escape velocities at those distances can be used. However, the change in energy between the two orbits must also be taken into account, which can be determined using a modified version of the formula for orbital energy. The Tsiolkovsky equation is used to determine if enough fuel is available for the required delta v.
Ashiataka
I want to calculate the delta V needed to move objects around in a 1-d gravitational field. The relevant equations as far as I can see are the Tsiolkovsky equation,
[tex]\Delta V = v_{ex} \ln\left(\frac{m_0}{m_1}\right)[/tex]
and the equation for calculating escape velocity.
[tex]v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}}[/tex]

Now I'm guessing that if I want to find the delta v to get from r to R I would use
[tex]v_e = \sqrt{2GM}\left(\frac 1R - \frac 1r\right)[/tex]

is that correct?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Ashiataka said:
Now I'm guessing that if I want to find the delta v to get from r to R I would use
[tex]v_e = \sqrt{2GM}\left(\frac 1R - \frac 1r\right)[/tex]

is that correct?

That would give you the difference in the required escape velocity. Why would you assume you were traveling at escape velocity at both places?

Your delta V either adds energy or subtracts energy from the orbit. The total energy determines the size of the orbit.

[tex]\epsilon = -\frac {GM}{2 a}[/tex]

where a is the semi-major axis and epsilon is the specific energy per unit of mass. Determine the difference in energy between the two different orbits. Since kinetic energy is the only type of energy that can be added, use a modified version of the formula for orbital energy to determine how much energy needs to be added.

[tex]\epsilon = \frac{v^2}{2} - \frac{GM}{r}[/tex]

Assuming the delta v is instantaneous, meaning r remains unchanged, the change in energy between the two orbits will be:

[tex]\Delta \epsilon = \frac{v2^2}{2}-\frac{v1^2}{2}[/tex]

All closed orbits have a negative specific energy. An specific energy of zero is a parabolic orbit - your minimum escape trajectory.

Assuming you have enough fuel, any size delta v is possible. You just keep firing your thruster until the required delta v is obtained. The acceleration is:

[tex]F = ma[/tex]

with your delta v being:

[tex]\Delta v = at[/tex]

Of course, for really large delta v's, such as at launch, assuming r remains unchanged seems like a bad assumption. It doesn't matter, since your kinetic energy is being converted to potential energy the entire time and your velocity really isn't changing as fast as you think it is. It's the change in energy that matters and that's the only relevance of the change in velocity - velocity is kinetic energy.

The Tsiolkovsky equation is used to determine whether or not you have enough fuel to perform the required delta v. Obviously, that's a pretty important consideration in the real world.

1. What is delta V and why is it important in science?

Delta V, or change in velocity, is a measurement of the change in an object's speed and direction over a given period of time. It is important in science because it is a crucial factor in calculating the trajectory and movement of objects in space, as well as in understanding the motion of particles and fluids on Earth.

2. How do I calculate delta V?

To calculate delta V, you need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, and the time it takes for the change in velocity to occur. The formula for calculating delta V is: Δv = vf - vi, where Δv is the change in velocity, vf is the final velocity, and vi is the initial velocity. Make sure to use the same units for all values.

3. Can delta V be negative?

Yes, delta V can be negative. This means that the object's velocity has decreased, either in speed or direction, over the given time period. Negative delta V is often seen in deceleration or when an object changes direction.

4. What are some real-life applications of calculating delta V?

Calculating delta V has many practical applications in science and engineering. It is used in space travel to determine the amount of fuel needed for a spacecraft to reach its destination, in aerodynamics to understand the movement of aircraft, and in rocket propulsion to design efficient engines.

5. Are there any limitations to using delta V in calculations?

While delta V is a useful measurement, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the acceleration of an object is constant, which may not always be the case in real-life scenarios. Additionally, delta V does not take into account external factors such as air resistance or gravitational pull, which can affect an object's velocity.