Fermionic creation and annihilation

In summary, Abby discussed her understanding of fermionic holes and the creation and annihilation operators associated with them. She also shared her progress in showing that \vec{S} is equal to a specific sum involving these operators. Abby also asked for help in dealing with a minus sign in her equation and shared her thoughts on how to approach it. She also requested someone to confirm her understanding and findings.
Abigale
Hi guys,
I consider fermionic holes and I know the creation and annihilation operators of them.

I have shown that [itex]\vec{S}= \sum\limits_{k \nu \mu} \frac{1}{2} \bf{c}_{k \mu}^{\dagger} \vec{\sigma}_{\mu \nu} \bf{c}_{k \nu} =...= \sum\limits_{k \nu \mu} \frac{1}{2} \bf{h}_{-k \mu}^{\dagger} \vec{\sigma}_{\mu \nu} \bf{h}_{ -k \nu}^{ }[/itex].
But I have to show that [itex]\vec{S}=\sum\limits_{k \nu \mu} \frac{1}{2} \bf{h}_{k \mu}^{\dagger} \vec{\sigma}_{\mu \nu} \bf{h}_{ k \nu}^{ }[/itex].

It would be nice if somebody has an idea how I can get rid of the minus sign.

THX
AbbyIs the sum maybe from minus infinity to plus infinity? Then I think I got it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Abigale said:
Is the sum maybe from minus infinity to plus infinity? Then I think I got it.

Yes, if there is no hard cut-off on the momenta.

So because k is from infinity to infinity I can write:
[itex]\vec{S}= \sum\limits_{k \nu \mu} \frac{1}{2} \bf{c}_{k \mu}^{\dagger} \vec{\sigma}_{\mu \nu} \bf{c}_{k \nu} =...= \sum\limits_{k \nu \mu} \frac{1}{2} \bf{h}_{-k \mu}^{\dagger} \vec{\sigma}_{\mu \nu} \bf{h}_{ -k \nu}^{ }

= \sum\limits_{-k \nu \mu} \frac{1}{2} \bf{h}_{k \mu}^{\dagger} \vec{\sigma}_{\mu \nu} \bf{h}_{ k \nu}^{ } \stackrel{(1)}{=}
\sum\limits_{k \nu \mu} \frac{1}{2} \bf{h}_{k \mu}^{\dagger} \vec{\sigma}_{\mu \nu} \bf{h}_{ k \nu}^{ }[/itex].I would say (1) is true because if I regard the k from "-"infinity to "+"infinity:

[itex]\sum\limits_{-k}^{}f(k)=\sum\limits_{k}^{}f(-k)= \sum\limits_{k}^{}f(k) [/itex]
Could somebody check my thoughts? Would be nice!
THX Abby

What is fermionic creation and annihilation?

Fermionic creation and annihilation are mathematical operators used to describe the creation and annihilation of fermions, which are particles that follow Fermi-Dirac statistics. These operators are used in quantum field theory to describe the behavior of fermions in a system.

What is the difference between fermionic creation and annihilation?

The main difference between fermionic creation and annihilation is their action on a quantum state. The fermionic creation operator adds a fermion to a state, while the annihilation operator removes a fermion from a state. Both operators also have specific mathematical properties, such as anti-commutation relations, that differentiate them.

How are fermionic creation and annihilation operators used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, fermionic creation and annihilation operators are used to construct the wave function of a system of fermions. By applying these operators to a vacuum state, which represents a system with no particles, the full wave function of a fermionic system can be created. These operators also play a crucial role in calculating the energy and other properties of fermion systems.

What is the physical significance of fermionic creation and annihilation?

The physical significance of fermionic creation and annihilation is that they represent the fundamental processes of adding and removing fermions from a system. In particle physics, these operators are used to describe the behavior of fundamental particles, such as electrons and quarks. They also play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of fermionic systems, such as atoms and molecules.

Can fermionic creation and annihilation be applied to other types of particles?

No, fermionic creation and annihilation are specific mathematical operators that only apply to fermions. Other types of particles, such as bosons, have their own corresponding creation and annihilation operators with different mathematical properties. This is because different types of particles follow different quantum statistics and have unique behaviors in quantum systems.