Medians of an Isosceles triangle

• Thread starter DotKite
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, to prove that the medians to the equal sides of an isosceles triangle divide each other into respectively equal parts, we can use the fact that the medians bisect two congruent lines and that the angles formed by the medians are congruent. By showing congruency between triangles ACD and ABE, we can also show that the medians CD and BE are congruent. By drawing DE and using properties of congruent and similar triangles, we can show that DE is parallel to BC and that triangle DEO is similar to triangle BCO, giving us the proportional sides needed to prove that the medians divide each other into equal line segments.
DotKite

Homework Statement

Prove that the medians to the equal sides of an isosceles triangle divide each other into respectively equal parts

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

suppose we have a triangle ABC where AB = AC. Let D be the point on AB in which the median intersects AB, and let E be the point on AC in which the other median intersects AC. Consider triangles ACD and ABE. We know AC = AB. Also AD = AE because the medians are bisecting two congruent lines. Also note that ∠CAD = ∠BAE. Therefore triangle ACD is congruent to triangle ABE by SAS. It follows that the medians CD and BE are congruent.

This is as far as i get. I can show that the medians are congruent, but I do not know how to show they divide each other into equal line segments

Physics news on Phys.org
DotKite said:

Homework Statement

Prove that the medians to the equal sides of an isosceles triangle divide each other into respectively equal parts

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

suppose we have a triangle ABC where AB = AC. Let D be the point on AB in which the median intersects AB, and let E be the point on AC in which the other median intersects AC. Consider triangles ACD and ABE. We know AC = AB. Also AD = AE because the medians are bisecting two congruent lines. Also note that ∠CAD = ∠BAE. Therefore triangle ACD is congruent to triangle ABE by SAS. It follows that the medians CD and BE are congruent.

This is as far as i get. I can show that the medians are congruent, but I do not know how to show they divide each other into equal line segments

Draw DE. You should be able to show triangle BDE is congruent to triangle CDE and that DE is parallel to BC. If O is where the medians intersect, show triangle DEO is similar to triangle BCO. That should give you the proportional sides you seek.

1. What is the definition of a median in an isosceles triangle?

A median in an isosceles triangle is a line segment that connects a vertex to the midpoint of the opposite side. It divides the triangle into two equal parts.

2. How many medians does an isosceles triangle have?

An isosceles triangle has three medians - one from each vertex to the midpoint of the opposite side.

3. Are the medians of an isosceles triangle always equal in length?

Yes, the medians of an isosceles triangle are always equal in length. This is because an isosceles triangle has two equal sides, so the medians will bisect those sides and be equal in length.

4. Can the medians of an isosceles triangle be used to find the area of the triangle?

Yes, the medians of an isosceles triangle can be used to find the area of the triangle. The formula for finding the area of an isosceles triangle using medians is: area = (1/4) x √(4m^2 - b^2), where m is the length of the median and b is the length of the base of the triangle.

5. How are the medians of an isosceles triangle related to its centroid?

The centroid of an isosceles triangle is the point where all three medians intersect. This point divides each median into a 2:1 ratio, with the longer segment being closer to the base of the triangle. The centroid is also the center of mass of the triangle.