Gradient equation with retarded time

In summary, the conversation discusses a radiation problem involving the expansion of an equation with the variables of a retarded time and electric dipole moment. The equation expands into four main parts, with the first one being the most important and involving a chain rule. The speaker is trying to figure out the expansion of the fourth term, which involves a curl acting on the vector. Another term is mentioned, but the speaker is unsure if it gives the desired result. The conversation ends with a question about the derivative of the moment of dipole vector.
ucclarke
For a radiation problem,
i am desperate about the expansion of the following equation:
[tex]\nabla ( \hat{r} /r^2 \cdot \vec{p}(t_o))[/tex]

where [tex]t_o[/tex] is the retarded time at the center
[tex]t_o=t-r/c[/tex]

and [tex]\vec{p}(t_o)[/tex] is the electric dipole moment at [tex]t_o[/tex]

actually, it expands to 4 main parts and i am unable to figure out the last one, namely:
[tex]\hat{r} /r^2 \times (\nabla \times \vec{p}(t_o))[/tex]

it would be magnifique if anyone can figure out the expansion of that term

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\nabla\left[\frac{\vec{r}}{r^{3}}\cdot\vec{p}\left(t_{o}\right)\right] [/tex]

[tex] =\left(\frac{\vec{r}}{r^{3}}\cdot\nabla\right)\vec{p}\left(t_{o}\right)+\left[\vec{p}\left(t_{o}\right)\cdot\nabla\right]\frac{\vec{r}}{r^{3}}\ +\frac{\vec{r}}{r^{3}}\times\left[\nabla\times\vec{p}\left(t_{o}\right)\right][/tex]

[tex] +\vec{p}\left(t_{o}\right)\times\left(\nabla\times\frac{\vec{r}}{r^{3}}\right) [/tex]

All 4 of them,okay?

Daniel.

Last edited:
ok, it's actually [tex]\nabla\left[\frac{\vec{r}}{r^{2}}\cdot\vec{p}\left(t_{o}\right )\right] [/tex], but really fine, thanks a lot.

so may i ask which one of these terms give out [tex](\hat{r}\cdot\dot{p}(t_o))\hat{r}[/tex] and how?

Nope,u said

[tex] \frac{\hat{r}}{r^{2}}\equiv\frac{\vec{r}}{r^{3}} [/tex]

The first.

Daniel.

yes, :)
you caught me, I've misread yours

but what about [tex](\hat{r}\cdot\dot{p}(t_o))\hat{r}[/tex] ? do you happen to figure out which of four gives it and how?

I've told you,use the chain rule for the first of the 4.

Daniel.

i find this out of the first one
[tex](p(t_o)-3(\hat{r}\cdot p(t_o))\hat{r})/r^3[/tex]

approved?

no, okay this's from the second one i fnd

i can't expand [tex] =\left(\frac{\vec{r}}{r^{3}}\cdot\nabla\right)\vec {p}\left(t_{o}\right)[/tex] as it should be. mine doesn't satisfy the given answer

can anyone help?

i am going NUTS here

[tex] I=\left(\frac{\vec{r}}{r^{3}}\cdot\nabla\right)\vec{p}\left(t_{o}\right) [/tex] (1)

Use cartesian tensors

[tex] I=\frac{x_{i}}{r^{3}}\partial_{i}p_{j}\left(t_{o}\right)\vec{e}_{j} [/tex] (2)

[tex] \partial_{i}p_{j}=-\frac{1}{c}\frac{dp_{j}}{dt_{o}}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x_{j}}=-\frac{\dot{p}_{j}\left(t_{o}\right)}{c} \frac{x_{i}}{r} [/tex] (3)

[tex] I=-\frac{\dot{p}_{j}\left(t_{o}\right)}{c} \frac{x_{i}}{r^{3}}\frac{x_{i}}{r} \vec{e}_{j} =-\frac{\vec{p}\left(t_{o}\right)}{c r^{2}} [/tex]

Daniel.

Last edited:
thanx a lot, that's exactly what i found too

then my mistake is certainly in the expansion of [tex]\left[\vec{p}\left(t_{o}\right)\cdot\nabla\right]\frac{\vec{r}}{r^{3}}[/tex] term

That cannot give a derivative of the moment of dipole vector.It's the one with a curl acting on the vector.

The one u mentioned is quite easy to compute,just use the Leibniz rule carefully.So what is

[tex]\partial_{i}\left(\frac{x_{j}}{r^{3}}\right) [/tex]

equal to...?

Daniel.

1. What is the gradient equation with retarded time?

The gradient equation with retarded time is a mathematical formula used in the field of electromagnetism to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space and time. It takes into account the effects of both the speed of light and the distance between the source and observer in calculating the fields at a given point in space and time.

2. How is the gradient equation with retarded time different from the regular gradient equation?

The gradient equation with retarded time is different from the regular gradient equation in that it includes a time-dependent term that takes into account the time delay between the emission of a field from a source and its observation at a certain point. This time delay is due to the finite speed of light and is not accounted for in the regular gradient equation.

3. What is the significance of using retarded time in the gradient equation?

The use of retarded time in the gradient equation is significant because it allows for a more accurate description of the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space and time. By considering the time delay in the propagation of fields, the equation takes into account the effects of causality and ensures that the fields are calculated correctly at a given point in space and time.

4. How is the gradient equation with retarded time applied in practical situations?

The gradient equation with retarded time is applied in practical situations in a variety of fields, including telecommunications, radar systems, and satellite communications. It is also used in the design and analysis of antennas, as well as in the study of electromagnetic waves in various media.

5. Are there any limitations to the gradient equation with retarded time?

While the gradient equation with retarded time is a useful tool in the study of electromagnetism, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the fields propagate in a vacuum, and it does not take into account the effects of material properties or other external factors. Additionally, it is based on classical electromagnetism and does not account for quantum effects.