Calculating Exact Area of Ruled Surface: Accuracy and Procedure

In summary, the area of a ruled surface can be calculated by connecting points on two curves and taking the sum of the areas of the triangles formed.
Moo Of Doom
I've been trying to figure out how to calculate the exact area of a ruled surface. I think I've come to a solution that works, but I'm not sure it's totally accurate. The procedure is as follows:

Consider two curves. A ruled surface is constructed by connecting each point on one curve to a corresponding point on the other curve. Now, taking a point on curve 1 (a), the corresponding point on curve 2 (b), and another point on curve 1 arbitrarily close to the first point (c), we form a triangle. Also, by taking another point on curve 2 close to point b (d), we can form triangle bcd. Adding the areas of abc and bcd, we have one element of area. Integrating these areas, you get the whole area.

The question is, is this exact, or just an approximation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on how small u are making that base of the triangle. If u are making it very small, then it should be exact otherwise it would be an approximation. (Your method corresponds very close to how computers generate surfaces on computer)

-- AI

I'm not sure what you mean by taking a point that is arbitrarily close. Here is one way to carry out your program.

Partition one of the lines with points [itex]\{a_n\}[/itex] and the other line with points [itex]\{b_n\}[/itex], where [itex]b_n[/itex] is the point associated with [itex]a_n[/itex]. Take the sum of the areas of the triangles formed by the points [itex]a_1, b_1, a_2[/itex] and by [itex]b_1, a_2, b_2[/itex], etc. to the end of the lines. Note that, in general, such sums are approximations to the area because, the sides of the triangles are straight lines, but the surface may be curved. Take the limit of such sums as the distance between the points in each partition goes to zero. The limit will be the exact area.

Thanks. Just what I wanted to know.

:)

Let's say you have two parametric functions (represented via positional vectors) [itex] \vec r_1 \left( t \right) [/itex] and [itex] \vec r_2 \left( t \right) [/itex], continuous [itex] \forall t \in \left( {a,b} \right) [/itex] , where [itex] t [/itex] is your parameter. Now, you connect [itex] \vec r_1 \left( t \right) [/itex] and [itex] \vec r_2 \left( t \right) [/itex] via line segments corresponding to equivalent parameter values --- i.e., connect point [itex] \vec r_1 \left( t \right) [/itex] to [itex] \vec r_2 \left( t \right) [/itex] (corresponding to equivalent t's) for all t's from t=a to t=b. What I do below is just divide the (a,b) interval into smaller units of just [itex] {\Delta t} [/itex].
*Then, by Moo of Doom's method, the area would be:
[tex] \frac{1}
{2}\mathop {\lim }\limits_{\Delta t \to 0^+} \sum\limits_{n = 0}^{2\left( {\frac{{b - a}}
{{\Delta t}}} \right) - 1} {\left\{ {\left[ {\vec r_1 \left( {a + A_n \Delta t} \right) - \vec r_2 \left( {a + B_n \Delta t} \right)} \right] \times \left[ {\vec r_1 \left( {a + B_n \Delta t} \right) - \vec r_2 \left( {a + C_n \Delta t} \right)} \right]} \right\}} [/tex]
where
[tex] \left\{ \begin{gathered}
A_n = \frac{{\left( { - 1} \right)^n + 2n - 1}}
{4} \hfill \\
B_n = \frac{{ - \left( { - 1} \right)^n + 2n + 1}}
{4} \hfill \\
C_n = \frac{{\left( { - 1} \right)^n + 2n + 3}}
{4} \hfill \\
\end{gathered} \right\} [/tex]
However, this method assumes no intersections of the line segments connecting [itex] \vec r_1 \left( t \right) [/itex] and [itex] \vec r_2 \left( t \right) [/itex] vectors.
My question is: How would this Riemann sum be converted into an integral?

Last edited:

1. What is a ruled surface?

A ruled surface is a three-dimensional surface that can be created by moving a line in a specific direction while keeping one end of the line fixed. It is a type of surface that can be described by straight lines and is commonly used in engineering and mathematics.

2. Why is calculating the exact area of a ruled surface important?

Calculating the exact area of a ruled surface is important because it allows us to accurately determine the amount of material needed to create the surface, which is crucial for construction and manufacturing processes. It also helps in accurately predicting the strength and stability of the surface.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of calculating the exact area of a ruled surface?

The accuracy of calculating the exact area of a ruled surface can be affected by various factors, including the precision of measurements, the complexity of the surface, and the method used for calculation. It is important to consider and minimize any potential sources of error to achieve a more accurate result.

4. What is the procedure for calculating the exact area of a ruled surface?

The procedure for calculating the exact area of a ruled surface involves first approximating the surface with smaller, simpler shapes such as triangles or rectangles. The area of each shape is then calculated and added together to get an approximate area. To improve accuracy, more shapes can be used, and the process can be repeated with smaller and smaller shapes until the desired level of precision is achieved.

5. Are there any software or tools available for accurately calculating the exact area of a ruled surface?

Yes, there are various software and tools available that can accurately calculate the exact area of a ruled surface. These include CAD software, which has advanced tools for creating and measuring ruled surfaces, and specialized calculators that can perform complex mathematical calculations. However, it is still important to understand the underlying principles and potential sources of error to ensure the accuracy of the results.