What is the best budget-friendly computer for folding?

In summary: AMD's have traditionally been geared towards gaming and the like. Intel processors have been geared toward office-type applications and computational programs. No program really exists to compare processors in Folding@home but I can personally say that my P4 3.0ghz runs laps around my 1.3ghz AMD and other people's Athlon64's 3000's when we compare folding points on another forum i go to.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
If i build a computer purly for folding, what are my best options.
I do not want to spend a fortune, but i want a system that will make
a reasonable contribution.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:

I would say to look at some good online stores like newegg and of course www.pricewatch.com is your friend. Of course ebay will sometimes have good deals. As far as folding goes, the Athlon 64 is king but keep in mind if you want to do stuff while you are folding you might consider a Pentium 4 with hyperthreading as it will likely run much smoother for you. Of course if you have the cash a dual core Athlon 64 would really do well in folding.
(by the way I am assuming you plan on building your own system)

Good luck,

Jeremy

Townsend said:
I would say to look at some good online stores like newegg and of course www.pricewatch.com is your friend. Of course ebay will sometimes have good deals. As far as folding goes, the Athlon 64 is king but keep in mind if you want to do stuff while you are folding you might consider a Pentium 4 with hyperthreading as it will likely run much smoother for you. Of course if you have the cash a dual core Athlon 64 would really do well in folding.
(by the way I am assuming you plan on building your own system)

Good luck,

Jeremy

Yes i intend to build my second computer, with folding in mind.
What would be a good motherboard to fit the Athlon 64?

wolram said:
Yes i intend to build my second computer, with folding in mind.
What would be a good motherboard to fit the Athlon 64?

It depends on what you want...

A good place to look for information is www.hardocp.com

Check the reviews they do..read through them and see which mobo suits your price/performance needs.

What do you mean by folding? I don't think you can fold a cpu in half.

wolram said:

Best of the best right now is the Pentium D dual core processor if you want to fold. Buy at newegg, nothing beats it, one stop shopping pleasure :D. The best motherboard... well, look on newegg. Find out what socket the processor you purchase is and then search for motherboards based on that socket and just sort by rating to find the most highly rated one.

dduardo said:
What do you mean by folding? I don't think you can fold a cpu in half.

It is a distributed computing project where you can contribute you free cpu cycles to help scientist do things like find a cure for cancer. It is becoming a sort of status symbol for people on online who have completed a lot of units. I never bothered because it always seemed to cause problems with my other programs.

http://folding.stanford.edu/

for more info...

Pengwuino said:
Best of the best right now is the Pentium D dual core processor if you want to fold. Buy at newegg, nothing beats it, one stop shopping pleasure :D. The best motherboard... well, look on newegg. Find out what socket the processor you purchase is and then search for motherboards based on that socket and just sort by rating to find the most highly rated one.

Are you sure? How does it compare to the dual core Athlon 64 systems? Most processor benchmarks put Athlon 64 processors in the lead. The exception is of course things like video encoding where the net burst really works in your favor. I have never really seen a benchmark comparing folding performance but it would be interesting to see. Know of any?

Townsend said:
Are you sure? How does it compare to the dual core Athlon 64 systems? Most processor benchmarks put Athlon 64 processors in the lead. The exception is of course things like video encoding where the net burst really works in your favor. I have never really seen a benchmark comparing folding performance but it would be interesting to see. Know of any?

AMD's have traditionally been geared towards gaming and the like. Intel processors have been geared toward office-type applications and computational programs. No program really exists to compare processors in Folding@home but I can personally say that my P4 3.0ghz runs laps around my 1.3ghz AMD and other people's Athlon64's 3000's when we compare folding points on another forum i go to.

1. What is "folding" in the context of building a computer?

"Folding" refers to the process of running complex simulations on a computer in order to study the behavior of molecules and proteins. This can help researchers and scientists better understand diseases and develop potential treatments.

2. Why is building a computer specifically for folding important?

Building a computer for folding allows for faster and more efficient simulations, as these simulations can be very resource-intensive. This can help speed up the research process and potentially lead to new discoveries in the field of medicine.

3. What are the key components to consider when building a computer for folding?

The key components for building a computer for folding include a powerful processor (CPU), a high-performance graphics card (GPU), a large amount of RAM, and a reliable cooling system. It is also important to have a stable power supply and enough storage space for the simulation data.

4. Can a regular computer be used for folding?

Yes, a regular computer can be used for folding, but it may not be as efficient as a computer specifically designed for this purpose. Building a computer for folding allows for customization and optimization of components to handle the demanding simulations more effectively.

5. Are there any specific software or programs needed for folding on a computer?

Yes, there are specific software and programs that are needed for folding on a computer. Some popular examples include Folding@home, Rosetta@home, and GROMACS. These programs are specifically designed for running simulations and can be downloaded for free.