Solve Entropy Change of Nitrogen in a Polytropic Process

• Thread starter mohdfasieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help to solve a problem involving a piston cylinder device containing nitrogen gas. The gas undergoes a polytropic process and the person wants to know the entropy change. Despite searching for a solution for two days, they were unable to find one. They ask for someone to provide a detailed solution.
mohdfasieh
Hello all Genius people,
how r u .This question might be easy for u but i am not able to solve this question.Can anybody of u tell me to solve this problem in detail.I will be very thank ful to u .please please solve in detail.i have spent 2 days just thinking about this question but i was not able to get the right answer.

QUESTION :

A piston cylinder device contains 1.2 kg of nitrogen gas at 120 kpa and 300 kelvin. the gas is now compressed slowly in a polytropic process during whivh PV ^1.3=constant .The process end when the volume is reduced by one-half. Determine the entropy change of nitrogen during the process.

Physics news on Phys.org
Surely your textbook contains a formula for caculating entropy under these conditions.

no sir nothing is giving for calculating entropy under such conditions please please tell me the solution of this question

1. What is the definition of entropy change?

Entropy change is a measure of the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a thermodynamic process. It can also be described as the level of disorder or randomness in a system.

2. How is entropy change calculated in a polytropic process?

In a polytropic process, the change in entropy can be calculated using the formula ΔS = nRln(V2/V1), where n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, V2 is the final volume, and V1 is the initial volume.

3. Can the entropy change of nitrogen be negative in a polytropic process?

Yes, the entropy change of nitrogen can be negative in a polytropic process. This indicates a decrease in disorder or randomness in the system, which can occur in certain conditions such as compression or cooling.

4. How does the specific heat ratio affect the entropy change of nitrogen in a polytropic process?

The specific heat ratio, γ, affects the entropy change of nitrogen in a polytropic process through the polytropic exponent, n. The value of n is equal to 1/(γ-1), so a higher specific heat ratio results in a smaller n and a larger change in entropy.

5. What are the practical applications of calculating the entropy change of nitrogen in a polytropic process?

Calculating the entropy change of nitrogen in a polytropic process is important in various fields, such as thermodynamics, engineering, and environmental science. It can be used to analyze and optimize processes involving nitrogen, such as air compression and refrigeration systems, and to understand the thermodynamic behavior of gases in different conditions.