Finding the Area of a Triangle (using determiants)

In summary, to find the area of a triangle in three-dimensional space, you can use the formula A = 1/2 * sqrt(det(A^tA)), where A is a matrix formed by the two given vectors and their corresponding components, or the formula A = 1/2 * |A x B|, where A and B are the two vectors. However, make sure to use the correct vectors and their components in the matrix A for accurate results.
Noone1982
I know this should be really simple, but it is not working out.
Say we have three vertices (0,0,0) (4,8,3) and (3,4,5)
I need to find the area of the triangle that it makes in three space with,

[tex]A\mbox{re}a\; =\; \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\det \left( A^{t}A \right)}[/tex]

But it is not working out :(

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't seen that formula before but have you covered the cross product yet?
If so, create two vectors by substracting two of your points twice, easiest would be to substract (0,0,0) from the other two of course, giving you the vectors (3,4,5) and (4,8,3).

Then take the cross product of these two and we know that the length of their cross product is the area of the parallellogram formed by the two vectors. The only thing that's left is dividing by two. Of course, computing the cross product can be easily done by using a determinant.

It seems as if your formula is trying to do the same thing, but the way its written now it would give 0 determinants, if I'm not mistaking.
It would depend of course on what you have to put in that matrix A...

I actually did try to use

[tex]A\mbox{re}a\; =\; \frac{1}{2}\left| A\times B \right|[/tex]

Im getting a reallllly close answer, but not exactly what it should be. I am perplexed.

Could you show that work please, together with the answer you think it should be? Normally, that should work if you're using the correct vectors :smile:

Your first formula will work. Note that what you wrote is equal to:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\det{A^TA}}=\frac{1}{2}\left|\det{A}\right|[/tex]

Where A is of the form:

[tex]A=\begin{bmatrix}\mathbf{i} & \mathbf{j} & \mathbf{k} \\ a_x & a_y & a_z \\ b_x & b_y & b_z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Where your two vectors are A=<ax,ay,az> and B=<bx,by,bz>.

Last edited:

1. How do you use determinants to find the area of a triangle?

To use determinants to find the area of a triangle, you will need to take the coordinates of the three vertices of the triangle and arrange them in a matrix. Then, you will need to find the determinant of this matrix. The absolute value of the determinant divided by 2 will give you the area of the triangle.

2. What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle using determinants?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle using determinants is A = 1/2 * |(x1 y1 1) (x2 y2 1) (x3 y3 1)|, where (x1, y1), (x2, y2), and (x3, y3) are the coordinates of the three vertices of the triangle.

3. Can determinants be used to find the area of any type of triangle?

Yes, determinants can be used to find the area of any type of triangle, including equilateral, isosceles, and scalene triangles. As long as you have the coordinates of the three vertices, you can use determinants to find the area.

4. Are there any other methods to find the area of a triangle besides using determinants?

Yes, there are other methods to find the area of a triangle, such as using the base and height formula (A = 1/2 * base * height) or using trigonometry (A = 1/2 * a * b * sin(C)), where a and b are the lengths of two sides and C is the angle between them.

5. How accurate is using determinants to find the area of a triangle?

Using determinants to find the area of a triangle is very accurate, as it is based on the coordinates of the three vertices and does not rely on any approximations or estimations. However, it is still important to check your calculations to avoid any errors.