Support India's Civilian Nuclear Program ?

In summary, the conversation discussed the United States' policy to support India's civilian nuclear energy program. Some participants believed that every country should have access to nuclear energy and that the US should have replaced fossil fuels with nuclear power a long time ago. Others disagreed with the US only helping India and not other countries like Pakistan and Iran. There were also concerns about waste disposal and materials proliferation. Some believed that India has already been successful in developing their own fuel and that US involvement may be a ploy to prevent other countries from getting involved. It was also mentioned that many US nuclear technology suppliers are controlled by foreign corporations. Overall, there were differing opinions on whether or not the US should support India's nuclear energy program, with some pointing out the potential

Do you support this policy ?

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe every country deserves to have a nuclear energy. What the United States and Russia have been doing - building up fission bombs and ICBMs is the dumbest thing in the history of mankind. We should've replaced fossil energy by nuclear plants long time ago, like they did in France.

I voted no... But I think I shouldn't have.. I dissaggree with the US ONLY helping India and not for example Pakistain.. But I don't dissaggree with them helping India

I voted no.

Until we solve the waste disposal and materials proliferation problems we should not be building more nuclear plants.

Yes, help India, help Pakistan, help Iran, help China to double check leakage, help all those who raise their hands.:smile:

Well India has done well on its own. India has developed fuel using the thorium cycle which is probably of interest to the US.

It may actually be a ploy to prevent Russia and China from getting involved.

I can't imagine the U.S. being able to supply any technology that is not readily available from elsewhere.

In fact, the US nuclear technology suppliers are largely under control of foreign corporations - BNFL (Westinghouse, and former ABB-Combusion Engineering), and Framatome (BWFC and Siemens ANP (fromerly Exxon Nuclear)). GE is involved in a partnership with Hitachi and Toshiba. BNFL may divest itself of Westinghouse, ostensibly to a US-based organization.

From a practical side, the Russian VVER fuel design is very effective for thorium fuel.

I vote yes because think about how much pollution you'd create to create energy for the 480 trillion people that live in India.

Yes i said trillion and yes i am joking (not about the poll decisiont hough)

1. What is India's Civilian Nuclear Program?

India's Civilian Nuclear Program is a government initiative that aims to expand the country's capacity for nuclear energy, allowing for more sustainable and reliable sources of electricity. This program was first introduced in 1944 and has since undergone several revisions and expansions.

2. What are the benefits of supporting India's Civilian Nuclear Program?

There are several benefits to supporting India's Civilian Nuclear Program. Firstly, it will provide a more stable and sustainable source of electricity for the country. Additionally, it will help reduce the country's dependency on fossil fuels and decrease carbon emissions. Furthermore, it will also create job opportunities and stimulate the economy.

3. How will supporting India's Civilian Nuclear Program impact the global nuclear industry?

Supporting India's Civilian Nuclear Program will have a positive impact on the global nuclear industry. It will potentially open up new markets for nuclear technology and create opportunities for collaboration and innovation. It will also help to strengthen the global nuclear non-proliferation efforts by bringing India's nuclear activities under international safeguards.

4. What are the concerns surrounding India's Civilian Nuclear Program?

Some of the concerns surrounding India's Civilian Nuclear Program include safety and security risks, potential environmental impacts, and the potential for diversion of nuclear materials for military purposes. However, these concerns can be addressed through proper regulations and oversight.

5. How can I support India's Civilian Nuclear Program?

There are several ways to support India's Civilian Nuclear Program. You can educate yourself about the program and its benefits, advocate for it with your local government representatives, or invest in companies that are involved in the nuclear industry. Additionally, you can also support initiatives and organizations that promote nuclear safety and non-proliferation efforts.